• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Mossberg 930 Setup

4n2t0

.22LR
I expect my new Mossberg 930 (28" Waterfowl) to arrive any day now.

Do I need to do the following?

1) File/polish the return spring so it doesn't damage the plunger. (Should I do both ends?)

2) File/polish the edges of the carrier latch.

Or has Mossberg already implemented revisions to fix these issues?

I'm not sure if they have fixed the issue on new guns. But I would try it out first b4 you go filing away. It may not need it. Then if u find that it dose after your first outing then I would commence to polishing

Thanks for the reply stigmata.

I was thinking that's what I would do with the carrier latch. I'm slightly worried about doing the same with the return spring as I've heard that even a few hundred rounds can cause damage to the plunger.

It's a shame that Mossberg hasn't done anything about these issue, especially since they're both easily resolved.

I used my 930 Waterfowl for a couple years with no upgrades or enhancements. Aside from one issue early on that was a result of my not cleaning it properly, it has worked great.

I have recently been replacing several parts with OR3GUN components, not that I needed them, but I like to tinker.

Hmmm...

You guys really have me thinking I should leave well enough alone. From reading this forum I thought it would be wise to head off some of these issues but I guess I'll just shoot it and see what happens. Being Canadian I try to avoid any warranty claims if at all possible. Firearm manufacturers are unwilling to do the necessary paperwork to have replacement parts shipped to Canada. That means we're at the mercy of their "repair centres" who can take months to repair anything (My S&W M&P was in repair for over 6 1/2 months!).

The problem with replacing parts from day one is that if there are issues its harder to figure out what is causing them.

Last edited:
I don't have a 930, but with anything, I try it out first. There are few exceptions, things I know I prefer and want from past experience. But if its something new, I give it a go and see what happens.

Newer 930s seem to be better running guns than they used to be and people in the know here have said the shorter barrels seem to have the most issues with light loads. I'm of the mind that the longer barrel with a magnum waterfowl load likely won't have any serious cycling problems outside of break in.

Always try it before you mess with it.

Run about 100 rounds of a VARIETY of loads and then take it apart to inspect for anything that may be wearing oddly. (This assumes, of course, that you make it through that 100 rounds without issue. Issues related to the shell stop can make that first 100 rounds tedious if there is a problem.)

Things to check at 100 rounds:

Is your magazine tube getting scored from the secondary gas system? Letting it continue will cause damage to the magazine tube, a return for service issue.

Is your return spring showing signs of eating into the plunger? Letting it continue will cause damage to the return spring tube, a return for service issue.

Is anything working loose on the gun? (Rail screws, etc.) These issues usually show up in the first 100 rounds.

Most other issues either take a lot longer to show up or have no real 'warning signs' of failure. Many of them are addressed with non-OEM parts anyway, so no return to Mossberg is necessary.

Since your 930 is a Waterfowl model, the piston and magazine tube will be blued, rather than the Boron Nitride of the JM and DC Pro models. These will be areas to watch carefully during and after your initial break in as corrosion is common in some environments and can result from simply sitting in your gun safe after a session.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

Back