• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Mossberg 930 SPX

usmc1962

Copper BB
Just picked up a new Mossberg 930 SPX and gave it a good cleaning not only to remove any excess shipping oil but to also familiarize myself with the inner workings of the gun. After reassembly I loaded seven rounds in the magazine tube or I should say tried to load. The seventh shell just barely made it past the shell release with no play. It is so tight that it would not feel. The shells are Remington 2 3/4 00 buck, the magazine spring is 35 3/4 long. Let me also add that during the cleaning I also removed the magazine follower and cleaned the magazine tube. I may shorten the spring by 1/4 inch to see it removes some of the tension to allow the first of seven shells to feed. Currently 6+1 runs perfect.

This is an old issue without a definitive answer, mostly due to the variation in 2-3//4" shells loaded length. (2-3/4" refers to the length of the fired hull.)

In my case, I replaced the extension with a (now old-style) Nordic extension and still had to replace the endcap with a XXL endcap. It's now about 1/4" longer than the barrel, but that's OK.

Check out this thread for more input than you ever imagined: http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/930-magazine-spring-survey.4968/

Thank you for the information, maybe I'll trim the magazine spring but for now I'll just load it 6+1 of 00 buck. It is still a bad ass deterrent.

Back