• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

new mossberg maverick

BruceAcworthGa

.22LR
Supporter
I'm the new owner of a 18.5 bbl Maverick. As I have a fractur d disc, (earlier note), I won't be able to shoot for a couple months.

I am looking to modify as follows. Find a good adjustable, reasonably priced collapsible stock with a good recoil pad, as I will be teaching my wife to shoot. Also looking for a good sling. I am also looking to hook up a flashlight/strobe to the end of the barrel.

I don't think I need capacity, as with a 5+1 capacity, if I can't hit my target......dang. Is there REALLY the need for a heat shield, or is this mostly cosmetic.

Down the road I would like to get a skeet barrel to try my hand as such.

To top it off, while removing the wooden dowel from the shell tune I managed to ja, the slide.....putz.....I assume I need to tear this down and have seen a utube video about such. This will be my first job.

Input on low recoil adjustable stocks and barrel lights appreciated. My budget is economy/midrange.

Thanks in advance.

I moved this here....you should get more answers here, than in someones intro post.

Adjustable low recoil stocks.
There are ways to reduce how you perceive or feel the recoil. Stocks would include ATI, Blackhawk Knoxx, Adaptive Tactical, and the most expensive would be Mesa Tactical low tube adapter and then you add the stock of your choice. With any of the stocks, you could add a recoil pad to help absorb some of the force. Some like the ATI I believe already have pretty decent recoil pads. But with an adjustable stock, you're changing the dynamics of how the shotgun works. You're actually making it so the recoil drives straight back into your shoulder. If recoil sensitivity is an issue of concern, a traditional stock with a plush recoil pad could be the ticket. A short length of pull Hogue could be more suitable. A traditional stock cause some of the recoil energy to rock the gun up, like pivoting on the recoil pad and the muzzle climbs up. It's a reasonably effective transfer of energy.

In many cases the heat shield will be cosmetic. It looks cool. It looks really cool. During practice, the barrel is gonna heat up. If you're inclined to handle the gun using the barrel, a heat shield will help.

For lights, there are many options. Streamlight has long been a good choice, Elzetta, surefire, Coast. I recommend a clamp also at the end of the magazine tube. CDM Gear makes some great stuff, but also Elzetta and there are again, many more choices.

Lights and clamps can get expensive. UTG/Leapers is economy and there are a couple others I can't think of. Stocks also get pricey, but I think some searching can yield decent results and I still highly recommend the short length of pull Hogue over adjustable. I think it's around $60 but I haven't looked in awhile. If you're of average build, the shorter Hogue should be ok and at worst, you could add the slip on likbsaver to that to make it a little longer and really soak up some of the recoil energy.

If I think of anything else I'll come back. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff and some other opinions here could be very beneficial to your searching.

For a adjustable butt stock I went with the ATI Akita butt stock. I like it cause it gives you that traditional look but gives you that check riser option along with the LOP adjustments.
I paid like $85.00+ for it, I thought it was the best traditional look stock with under the $100 dollar price tag, still give the adjustment options with the adjustable cheek riser & like stated before keeps the traditional shotgun butt stock look. I am not fond of pistol grips on my shotguns.
That flashlight mount is one of ATI shotgun tube mounts also, that'a a modified Acid Tactical 300 lumens white light. Not sure if this would be anything you would be interested in but that ATI butt stocks Scorpion recoil pad is awesome!
Please ignore my messy work bench, LOL!

Shotty 008.jpg Shotty 009.jpg Shotty 011.jpg Shotty 013.jpg Shotty 014.jpg

The only box this kit doesn't check for you is recoil management(see link). It's pretty easy to upgrade the pad on them though. You could put any rail attach pistol flashlight on the fore end, this opens up your options and price range. I have this stock on my 88(different fore end) and it works really well with the trigger guard safety. With a 500 it's clumsy to reach the safety with the pistol grip. Adjustment on these stocks isn't infinite, there's 5 positions. They do adjust very easily and quickly and they have a sling attachment point as shown on mine.

http://www.adaptivetactical.com/products/experformance-stock-set-mossberg.php

KIMG0168.jpeg

Back