• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Mossberg Owner

Jonnysdad

Copper BB
Hello All

I am about to buy my first shotgun; a Mossberg 500. I am buying it from a trusted friend. I've seen it once. It has a side folding stock on it with and a heat shield. I want to modify it a bit more for HD. All I've bought, so far, is a six position adjustable stock and a spare shell holder. Eventually, I want to purchase a rail for a light and a grip for the fore arm.

I am not in a hurry. I don't plan to use this gun for anything more than home defense. I plan to slowly purchase parts to modify it. So far I have found a couple of items that I have saved on Amazon to buy, but don't have the $$ to get yet.

Just want to know any recommendations for some expensive mods that you would recommend. The rail for the light looks good. It seems to fit around the mag tube and the barrel, but I wonder if the heat shield is going to get in the way. I don't think I'm going to shoot enough where the heat shield will really be necessary. I would think that I could remove that. I like the Mako fore grip. Looks sharp.

Just want to get input from seasoned owners. I'm very excited about the shotgun. It's a birthday present to me!!!!

welcome from NY and congrats on your new to you mossy. get a chance post a pic or two. :)

Hello from StL MO! My .02 - get the gun, shoot it a bunch (100+ rounds). Think about what makes it better for your intended purposes and don't get drawn onto the tactical mod path - -unless that is what you want. Aesthetics matter more to some. Form follows function is a solid tenet in my book and can save a lot of cash - say, for gun #2?!?!?

I agree mingaa. So far I've just purchased the adjustable stock, because I didn't like the one that's coming with the shotgun. I'd like to have a low cost rail system, in case I do want to add the light. Definitely don't want to drop a whole lot of money into something that's sitting in the back of the closet most of the time.

Bought the Mossy. It's awesome !!! Put a six position adjustable stock on it. I bought a small rail unit and a new fore end assembly. I plan to get those added this week. I will have to take photos and let you guys see my new toy !!! LoL...I just noticed that in my initial post I said I want advice on getting expensive mods for it. Definitely not what I meant. Wanted to spend the least amount possible.

Back