• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New MVP Predator Potentially Defective?

I just picked up an MVP Predator 18.5 last Tuesday in central PA as I was driving through on my to Detroit.
After I got home, I noticed the barrel was not centered well in the stock.
1e133c13-1e82-4133-86ce-afb3aaefdd25_zpsc42d7406.jpg

I called Mossberg and left a message and also emailed them but am awaiting a response.
So, I decided to open it up and I found the problem. The magazine receiver is made of plastic and was cracked. This affects the line up of the barrel.
d464ecb8-be77-43f3-83e4-d89c209629c2_zps13339e5a.jpg

It's likely that someone over torqued the screw that goes through the stock, passes the magazine receiver and screws into the barrel.
The problem is I think this is highly likely to happen again. The spacer that is supposed to assume the torque of the screw is shorter than it looks like it should be. This leaves the plastic magazine receiver to assume the torque of the screw which would make it split with even the slightest bit of pressure. I'm wondering if this is a manufacturers defect because I can’t imagine someone doing this intentionally. In addition, the screw appears too short. It only threads into the barrel maybe 1.5 turns.

(see the white ring around the screw and note that the plastic is higher than the spacer)

4f3269ec-7405-4916-adf6-eb081e8b1fe1_zps0ef2df72.jpg

Wow, I live in central PA and couldn't find one anywhere!!! Kind of mad I missed this one lol... could have made it work ;)

I am trying to find you the contact information for our "Direct Contact Rep" or DCR :lol: Joe will take care of you once I find that email......

EDIT: JZakher@maverickarms.com - Let him know you came from Mossberg Owners and were given his info from a Moderator here and he will help you get what you need! Usually quicker then what someone can do on their own :mrgreen:

That is a shame. Please keep us posted on your problem and resolution.

Also, Welcome aboard from another in PA.

Much Thanks! :D
I'll give him a try.
Aside from that I am very pleased with the gun. I only have about 40 rounds through it but love the feel, looks and accuracy. It's a real shooter.
I can get past this little issue by simply adding a small washer to compensate for the spacer the is too short (if I have to). All I would need is a replacement magazine receiver.

Itsricmo said:
Wow, I live in central PA and couldn't find one anywhere!!! Kind of mad I missed this one lol... could have made it work ;)

I am trying to find you the contact information for our "Direct Contact Rep" or DCR :lol: Joe will take care of you once I find that email......

EDIT: JZakher@maverickarms.com - Let him know you came from Mossberg Owners and were given his info from a Moderator here and he will help you get what you need! Usually quicker then what someone can do on their own :mrgreen:

Welcome aboard and sorry to see you're having this issue.

I would definitely push Mossberg to make this right. You paid for a rifle that should be in 100% perfect condition and anything less shouldn't be tolerated. Good luck and keep us posted...

I tried calling Mossberg again and was able to get through this time.
No muss, no fuss they agreed to ship out a replacement magazine guide :D
In 7 to 10 days... :cry:

So, I asked to speak to tech support to ask if the spacer being too short (to short to assume the torque of the bolt that attaches the forward part of the stock to the barrel) is normal, or is that a problem with just my rifle?

Their answer unfortunately was that the rifle is designed that way. I'm a little suspect of that answer. If the spacer were just a couple of mm's longer it would prevent the plastic from cracking.

Can anyone on this site confirm this? The spacer should at least be flush with the plastic, in my rifle it is below the plastic.

Either way, I am going to change out the spacer to fix mine. I have never owned anything I did not have to tinker with to make it just right (be it car, motorcycle, gun, etc. ) so I am not casting stones at Mossberg.

Once I make the fix, I will post pics.

No muss, no fuss they agreed to ship out a replacement magazine guide

Excellent! I am glad to see they are shipping you the part you need. If you are suspicious of the bolt being to short, it most likely won't hurt to replace it with a slightly longer one to ease your nerves. I have done this many times and actually fixed a cracked Marlin M60 stock with some good'ole home remedies! Keep us posted and man.... POST UP SOME MORE PICTURES!!! ;)

What you're seeing is a common problem with high volume, high pressure, mass production. As consumers of stuff, we expect that everything we buy meets spec. Unfortunately that is not the case. All mass produced stuff, whether it's guns, furniture, medicine, commercial jet liners, or bowling balls is subject to the vagaries of statistical averages and management decisions of what they can get by with. It's all about the money, y'all.

People usually fail to understand that the business of business is making money. The product is merely the means to the end.

Blame it on Henry Ford.

There must be some tolerance issues here. I took one apart today for inspection and the metal pillar on the front action screw was essentially flush with the plastic magazine guide, and showed bright marks from metal to metal contact.

jnewell,
So, it sounds like there might be something wrong with mine. Mine is clearly not flush, it's lower than the metal pillar making it so the plastic is directly assuming the torque from the screw.
Would you mind send me a picture of yours? That might help in my conversation with Mossberg tech support. I can PM you my email.

Thought I'd give an update to those following.

It's been 32 days and I have not received my replacement part. I called to follow up nearly two weeks ago and Mossberg said they had no record of the transaction.

Frustrated, :x

I then requested another replacement part and am still waiting on it. It's been another two weeks.

I spoke too soon.
The part arrived shortly after posting my update.

The problem is, my suspicion was correct. The magazine guide did not fix the problem of the barrel not being centered in the stock. As I thought, the broke magazine guide was the symptom, not the cause of the problem. Going to contact Mossberg again.

Wish me luck

This is Pretty standard in All Production Guns that are full floated , Just glass bed the Gun Problem solved .. you won't be sorry . DD

Back