• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New owner of a 930 Turkey model!

Hello everyone! I am a proud owner of the Mossy Oak Turkey model 930, complete with the XXFull choke. Although I am not new to the brand (have a Maverick for years, and recently bought my son a 715T .22 for his bday) this is the very first Auto Loader for me to call my own!
One question I do have, or maybe a concern, is that in the manual it states to put a shell in the chamber first, then load the tube magazine. I have tried to do it "old school" like my dad's Browning by racking the receiver to chamber a round, but it will kick a couple shells out and jam. So is it safe to say the only way to load it properly is always putting one in the chamber first?
Also does anyone have a favorite turkey load with this gun?

Welcome from MI!!

Congrats on your new 930!! I've had my 930 for a few years and I think I've always loaded the chamber than the magazine so I've not experienced that problem.

Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats to you and your son on your new Mossy's. You get a chance post a pic or two.:)

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new 930!

What you're experiencing while manually charging the action on a loaded tube is quite normal, especially for a new 930. I experienced this with both of mine. The action is designed to operate under high energy during fire and we simply cannot manually cycle the weapon fast enough to engage then disengage the shell stop before more rounds are pushed out of the tube. However, once the shotgun is broken in a bit you may be able to do so. I am able to manually cycle both my 930's on a full tube now, but they have been put through the paces and are well broken in...

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! My father-in-law actually shown me that I was cycling the action too slow, and gave me a gun lesson on chambering one from the mag tube (he loves doing that!). I actually got to shoot a few turkey loads to get the sights set, and also find out what brand/size it likes best! Gotta say those turkey loads pack a punch, but it patterned excellent! Thanks for the advice and help, hope to bag my first turkey this year :)

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Goodman_Huntin !!

Each shotgun I own patterns a particular brand / load differently...so, I would suggest you buy a few different boxes from say Remington / Winchester / (insert brand name here) and test your gun with a few of each on a turkey pattern target to see which your shotgun patterns with the best...half the fun is finding out !!

Back