• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New owner of Mossberg 590a1 18.5 7 shot, need help on model.

Picked up a 50774 today and it looks like yours- mag tube slightly shorter than barrel. As long as it holds the 7, I'm fine with how it looks.

Picked up a 50774 today and it looks like yours- mag tube slightly shorter than barrel. As long as it holds the 7, I'm fine with how it looks.
Yeah I think that is just how they are made, factory stock picture is off. If you do want to add I would recommend Choate and get a custom extension. It really only adds one to your shotgun, for me it is aesthetics. Did your forend have tri rail system on it? That is pretty cool really, I ordered a light for it that is coming today that mounts to the rail. I got the inforce WMLx gen 2 on the advice from the member of the forum. It comes today and I will give you my review on it.

Last edited:
Yeah I think that is just how they are made, factory stock picture is off. If you do want to add I would recommend Choate and get a custom extension. It really only adds one to your shotgun, for me it is aesthetics. Did your forend have tri rail system on it? That is pretty cool really, I ordered a light for it that is coming today that mounts to the rail. I got the inforce WMLx gen 2 on the advice from the member of the forum. It comes today and I will give you my review on it.

So are you saying it can go from a 7 to 8 with the extension? Like to see a pick of yours when done and if you'd share cost, where you got it etc...

I'm contemplating a light. I'm leaning toward Inforce- what did you go with?

I also have a MS1 sling and UM Mil Spec swivels coming to try out.

So are you saying it can go from a 7 to 8 with the extension? Like to see a pick of yours when done and if you'd share cost, where you got it etc...

I'm contemplating a light. I'm leaning toward Inforce- what did you go with?

I also have a MS1 sling and UM Mil Spec swivels coming to try out.
From what I am told it is a +1 extension but on some forums I am seeing people say they are getting +2 with Choate (but at the very least it will be 7+1) with original factory receiver left in. I have that on order also. Yes I am getting the Inforce WMLx gen 2 800 lumens in the mail today. I will do some testing and give you some feedback on it. I haven't decided on sling yet, and I am currently looking for a shotgun scabbard.

Last edited:
Just received my WMLx gen 2 rail attached light in the mail. It was very easy to mount. It is 800 lumens and in such a good position to hit light on and off, and it has quite a few options as far as use of the light. I love it. Very form fitting.
I want to thank a fellow forum member for helping me so much with this build. 95jza80tt, I appreciate all the good advice!
RTfaHTc.jpg

Yes, mine is the 50774- looks just like yours. I'm fitting 6 in the tube +1 in the chamber as-is. Is that what you've got, or are you getting 7 in the tube stock?

Interested if you get +1 or +2 with the Choate. Could you post or PM what the Choate 4 1/3" custom extension cost?

I like the Inforce light too. Debate on the 800 vs the 400- is the 800 TOO bright indoors? Where did you get yours?

Thanks for the post and to those that have replied- been good info for me too.

Yes, mine is the 50774- looks just like yours. I'm fitting 6 in the tube +1 in the chamber as-is. Is that what you've got, or are you getting 7 in the tube stock?

Interested if you get +1 or +2 with the Choate. Could you post or PM what the Choate 4 1/3" custom extension cost?

I like the Inforce light too. Debate on the 800 vs the 400- is the 800 TOO bright indoors? Where did you get yours?

Thanks for the post and to those that have replied- been good info for me too.
OH man I am glad I caught you, I was just doing edit on my post. I was using an old measuring tape, someone in another thread pointed out he has the same model we do and the stock 4.25 Choate extension is the one you want. It costs an extra 20 dollars to do a custom one.
This is the one you want. http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/02-04-11.
I am getting 6+1 stock and I am told I will get 7+1 with the Choate product. I have also seen on the forum if you keep the stock receiver and do not replace it with the Choate one, some are getting 8+1, I cannot confirm this as I haven't got my extension yet.

I would go 800, it doesn't seem TOO bright indoors, and I would rather have the light to get great indoor and outdoor light. I got mine at https://www.universalmania.com/prod...en-2-black-finish-primary-white-light-wx-05-1

OH man I am glad I caught you, I was just doing edit on my post. I was using an old measuring tape, someone in another thread pointed out he has the same model we do and the stock 4.25 Choate extension is the one you want. It costs an extra 20 dollars to do a custom one.
This is the one you want. http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/02-04-11.
I am getting 6+1 stock and I am told I will get 7+1 with the Choate product. I have also seen on the forum if you keep the stock receiver and do not replace it with the Choate one, some are getting 8+1, I cannot confirm this as I haven't got my extension yet.

I would go 800, it doesn't seem TOO bright indoors, and I would rather have the light to get great indoor and outdoor light. I got mine at https://www.universalmania.com/prod...en-2-black-finish-primary-white-light-wx-05-1

Damn those old measuring tapes- inches ain't what they used to be! ;-)

LOL! Seriously though you caught me in time and I appreciate the good info. I'll likely order one. Give me a good excuse to relocate the swivel too.

Also thanks for the reminder to check UM- I've got stuff there before and I like their prices.

Just for clarification with the choate "+1" extension part# 02-04-11 using this with your factory mossberg follower you will fit 7 in the tube +1 in the chamber which technically makes your shotgun now into a 8shot.
it should look like this once installed.
71CB1690-DD28-455B-9FF5-407902F9BD6C_zpsa4uzdgby.jpg

Just for clarification with the choate "+1" extension part# 02-04-11 using this with your factory mossberg follower you will fit 7 in the tube +1 in the chamber which technically makes your shotgun now into a 8shot.
it should look like this once installed.
71CB1690-DD28-455B-9FF5-407902F9BD6C_zpsa4uzdgby.jpg
Sweet. Done deal!

I have been in the market for a 7 short Mossberg 590a1, I wanted the 18.5 barrel with ghost rings for home defense. I ordered one online from WholesaleHunter.com. I headed home to TX to pick up the gun from a FFL in town, and was in a rush to get back to Hollister, MO where I am staying for the summer.

So I get the shotgun and right away something is a little off, the mag tube on the bottom is not flush with the barrel like the Mossberg website shows. I look at the box, and checked serial numbers and it is a 7 shot 18.5 inch 509a1, it just does not match up with the exact same model that is on the mossberg website. I am pretty confused I didn't want to have to get an extension because it seemed that it was already set up the way I wanted it. Does anyone own the 7 shot 509a1 18.5 that came with the mag tube flush? I will attach pics of my gun and the exact same model number from Mossberg.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

I have an 18.5" 590A1 and I load 5 + 1 only by default. I had to buy a S & J Hardware +2 extension to load 7+1.

https://sjhardware.us/product-category/mossberg-590/

I received mine and it is as yours when it came. Did any of you receive a choke tube wrench or other choke tubes than the one installed?

I received mine and it is as yours when it came. Did any of you receive a choke tube wrench or other choke tubes than the one installed?
Buff I had the small little wrench in the box, be careful it's slim and easy to miss it. It didn't come with any other chokes, but Mossberg does sell them.

Cleaned The 590A1 50774 and I found a nick / chip like it had been dropped with the chip leaning outward from the tub so it does not interfere with the removing of the magazine tube cap or the loading of the firearm. I also found a stamp on the inside the receiver that said "TDO" best I could make it out, does anyone know what that means?

Cleaned The 590A1 50774 and I found a nick / chip like it had been dropped with the chip leaning outward from the tub so it does not interfere with the removing of the magazine tube cap or the loading of the firearm. I also found a stamp on the inside the receiver that said "TDO" best I could make it out, does anyone know what that means?

I spoke to Customer Support and she said the TDO stamped on the inside of the 590A1 is the initial of assembler who worked or assembled said firearm. Maybe they are listening to the customers about customer service and Quality Control.
I will say the young lady was very helpful. I just wish I could remember her name. I do suffer from CRS. (Can't Remember Sh-t)

Back