• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Owner Screw Up?

NightWing

Copper BB
I bought a new Maverick 88 12GA with the 18 1/2 barrel. It came knocked down in the box. I was checking it out before assembling the barrel, racking it and pulling the trigger a few times.

I wanted to begin the simple assembly and opened the manual for instructions. There in print was the warning not to do what I had done or damage will occur. I assembled the shotgun and everything seems to be OK, but how will I know if I have damaged any parts? Seems to me that if this is critical, they would have a sticker or a tag on the unit. I doubt if I was the first new owner to start playing before assembly. Your thoughts, please.

You should be ok but you can damage the trigger unit by doing this as it puts the stress on the pins rather than having the impact absorbed by the bolt. I doubt you did any damage.

I agree with MikeD.
You're certainly not the first person to have done this. Dry firing isn't bad necessarily, but repeated without the bolt in place can do some damage.

I say go do some shooting! ;)

I have dry fired many firearms that were not recommended to be dry fired.... with that being said, it wasnt a ton of times & I have had no problems

Thank you all for your response. I heard that racking the unit can twist the guides if you aren't careful.

Also, I have read that this shotgun includes the pistol grip. Mine didn't have one. Perhaps a manufacturing change?

@NightWing
I couldn't say about the Maverick if it should include a pistol grip. OFM has so many part numbers for firearms with seemingly very slight nuances between models. If you have the model number I'd be happy to take a look and try to track it down for a definitive answer.

As for racking the slide/cycling the action;
In my mind its normal function. When I got my 590A1 new out of the box, before I was able to get out and shoot, I cycled the action over and I over. I think it helps with break in, to smooth the edges a bit. I could be wrong and ultimately firing slugs and 00 buck made the most difference in time.

Ill admit, the first few times I went out to shoot, I didn't know about proper cheek weld and stance and full power slugs were a bit rough. They kinda broke me in also! lol

Thank you all for your response. I heard that racking the unit can twist the guides if you aren't careful.

Racking the gun Will NOT "twist the guides".

What Rossignol said it will help break in the gun.

@NightWing
I couldn't say about the Maverick if it should include a pistol grip. OFM has so many part numbers for firearms with seemingly very slight nuances between models. If you have the model number I'd be happy to take a look and try to track it down for a definitive answer.

As for racking the slide/cycling the action;
In my mind its normal function. When I got my 590A1 new out of the box, before I was able to get out and shoot, I cycled the action over and I over. I think it helps with break in, to smooth the edges a bit. I could be wrong and ultimately firing slugs and 00 buck made the most difference in time.

Ill admit, the first few times I went out to shoot, I didn't know about proper cheek weld and stance and full power slugs were a bit rough. They kinda broke me in also! lol

Stamped Model 88.

Its a Mossberg, some dry fires will not hurt it. There should have been some type of product code on the packaging. The stampings and serial numbers only designate what the base firearm is. For what its worth, a quick browse of the Mossberg website doesnt show an option for a pistol grip on any of the Mav 88 packages. The pistol grips are readily available as an accessory though.

Back