• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New owner

Red Streak

Copper BB
1st msg

Took delivery of my Mossberg 500 Crusader last week and also a VISM scabbard.

I'd been trying to get this 500 for months and recently got notification from Ammunition Depot of stock so ordered it immediately.

The VISM scabbard I got off eBay. Perfect fit for the Crusader.

Any suggestions for LOW COST ammo to fire off at the range just to get some experience with the gun?

IMG_20210227_125332378_HDR.jpgIMG_20210227_125242354_HDR.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum!
Low cost ammo??? Sorry, there was a mass extinction when the Covid dempanic hit.
ammoseek.com or similar may be your best bet.
I am leery of the recoil of a shotgun like yours and have to wonder if it will cause flinching, take the fun out of it and curtail practice.
Mini shot shells have much less recoil but can be hard to find. I haven't checked prices lately but even if they cost as much as standard shells they are great for practice. An outfit called OPSol makes a mini-clip that lets you run the mini shells in your 500. I have one and it's a good product.

IMG_1078.png
IMG_1078.png

^^^^Good advice.

Welcome to MO!!

You could also try using birdshot/target loads...they don't kick as hard as buckshot or slugs. That is if you can find any at a reasonable price and should help you break in the new iron.

If you've not had much experience with a shotgun or never shot one without a stock on it before...do yourself a big favor and don't try to hold it up and aim down the barrel. That will take ALL the fun out of your range trip in a real hurry.

Thanks for all the info.

I did buy an OPsol mini clip. Bought some Challenger Shortshells @ 50 cents each and a friend gave me some Remington heavy load ShurShot. All went through without any problem. So far I really like the gun. I'll try other ammo as and when I can get it.

Last edited:
Back