• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Patriot owner with questions

They should design things to meet.the wants of the customers.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

It's like the old saying goes fellas...
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...

I would suggest writting to them yourselves, as actual owners, and voice your opinion. Just being a seasoned mod has no bearing on the issue. It's the owners themselves that need to speak up...

That makes perfect sense from a business / political perspective & jives with the info I received. My state does not have that limitation, nor does my county, but many jurisdictions do apparently [emoji203] . The private land we hunt on is swarming with an overabundance of feral hogs. The pests from hell that destroy a massive amount of crops, especially here in the South. Most folks around here use a precision AR or AK platform to deal with these beasts, but I prefer the challenge of an old school bolt action hunting rifle. As long as at least half of us have an AR / AK I feel safe doing so. There is safety in #'s as these feral creatures do occasionally try to attack us when we hunt them. I have a darn good reason to want a higher magazine capacity, for all my weapons, it's called I don't want to be the one who gets mamed or killed!!!

The FBI's statistics on trained law enforcement professionals who hit their targets range anywhere anywhere between 18% - 7% of the time. Meaning that 82% - 93% of all shots fired completely miss the assailants. Even when hit, some assailants must be hit 2, 3, 4, 5, even 6 or more times to STOP the threat!!! Facts are facts & are very stubborn things... Next time ya carry a weapon, make sure ya have plenty of ammo [emoji318]

"Give me liberty, or give me death!"

My uncle has the same problem with feral pigs on his farm in east Texas. They're causing a lot of damage to the crops and even the structures. Some of the surrounding landowners have even started helicopter hunts. I certainly understand the need for a few more rounds when it comes to those suckers...

They do.

People generally don't get upset with Ford because the Taurus doesn't come in 4WD. There are other models made for those needs.

Not trying to be argumentative or confrontational, but Mossberg designed this rifle as a simple, low cost hunting platform. I seriously doubt that they have identified a market for or any need to modify it beyond its intended role at this point, especially considering the success of their MVP line. They've already got it covered...

To add to that, most other manufactures follow this same basic principal... Ruger, Savage, Marlin all have basic hunting rifle lines that come with 4 or 5 round detachable magazines... nothing more. And I have yet to see an aftermarket support for larger capacity mags in any of those rifles.

I doubt you'd be able to run the bolt fast enough and load subsequent rounds to get the volume of fire that would warp the barrel. Sure, POI shift would definitely occur, but warping?.. I highly doubt it. It would be hard to do even in a semi auto configuration.

I was thinking more of the 30 round mags being too much heat all at once for this gun. I've never shot more than a 10 round mag at once, which seemed like a lot of heat. I really wanted the gun to cool after that.

But that was a semi-auto & I didn't have to run the action.

Well, I know a lot of people would buy a 10 round magazine who would never buy an MVP. I have one and I still want 10 rounders for my patriot.Even for a long action like 30-06.

That is not trying to start an argument, just stating an unmet wish shared by many. Just like I like open sights on a gun.not everyone is shooting across a bean field. Some.are shooting in heavy brush. Scopes are not to good for that.

So if I wanted a larger magazine or semiauto, I would look at those rifles. I have no dog in this fight, but OFM makes a whole other line of rifles with a number of models and configurations that accept aftermarket magazines and larger capacities. I saw someone say he has one already. So use that. If you want the patriot line to cost as much as the MVP line then keep advocating design changes.

I personally have been considering a Savage as my first bolt action. There's one I like with a 4 round internal box top load only. It's closest to what may be my max budget. But ideally I want the other model with detachable 10 round magazine. I guess if I want that one I'll have to save longer and maybe quit smoking.

I honestly don't see the point of arguing any of this or trying to mount a letter writing campaign or whatever to force OFM to change the design.

As has been said, don't buy a Taurus when you really want a wrangler. You want a wrangler to meet the needs or requirements of your situation? Then buy one.

Oh yeah, happy new year!

Last edited:
There are actually some pretty decent low power scopes that are awesome for closer targets in brush. Stuff you can easily shoot both eyes open that gives just enough magnification to make a 40 or 50 yard shot spectacularly clear.

Additionally, I too like irons. Savage makes a couple options. One on that top loading I mentioned and another on the detachable 10 round magazine I also mentioned.

Well, I know a lot of people would buy a 10 round magazine who would never buy an MVP. I have one and I still want 10 rounders for my patriot.Even for a long action like 30-06.

By the time you put a 10 round detachable box on there, you've got an MVP.

We put 6 caribou down that day between the two of us... all with a good ole' 4 round internal magazines. There are hunting rifles and then there are tactical rifles, two very different platforms. Would I have liked a sweet .308 with a 20round mag that day... absolutely! Was it needed... absolutely not.

I get it, there more you can do with one gun saves you money in the end. So if a hunting rifle can be configured to also double as a tactical range toy thats great. But that's just not where the Patriot line of rifels falls. I know there's mag conversions for 700s and Weatherbys... but your spending at least $300-400 more on those rifles. As I said in my previous post, the Patriot is the direct response to other manufactures offering budget level hunting rifles, and the child of the ATR and 4x4 lines. Don't expect a huge aftermarket support any time soon. It'll be few years before you can even buy aftermarket stocks from places like Boyds.

Attachments

• DSCF1287-1.jpg
    DSCF1287-1.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 7
Here's some other info. Rifles like the MVP with detachable box magazines, shorter barrels, and threaded barrels (not all at once but generally and in various configurations) have fizzled out of production because the market generally wasn't interested and production costs weren't justified by sales. It's a small wonder in itself there's been a resurgence of interest in this sort of rifle.

Consider Jeff Coopers ideal rifle, the detachable magazine was considered optional. Additionally, USMC sniper Carlos Hathcock used an M70 30-06. Essentially a deer rifle.

Point is, so many options already exist in configurations you're talking about. If you turn the Patriot rifle into what you're describing, it becomes those other rifle lines. You want a deer rifle. But you want irons. And you want a 10 round detachable box. And maybe be able to accept aftermarket 30 round magazines. Cool, I can point you to that rifle.

Yeah, same here! Only need $1500 more to get the one I want!

Find a Garand. That could be an option. Or stick with the Enfield.

One day I'll take my Garand out to hunt with... I'm too much of a pansy to scratch up my walnut stock though:oops:

Totally forgot about this option.... if you're gonna do a rags to riches build might as well go all in...
IMG_2991.jpg

There's that, but there are synthetic chassis available I think.

Oh... so I should buy another Garand and put the synthetic stock on it! If I have to I guess;)

...as long as we're posting pics... ;)

Here's my M1A Scout for a little eye candy...

AICS Rem 700 Tactical AAC-SD .308

AICS Rem 700 Tactical .223

My MVP is capable of accepting three different magazines, came with iron sights and is a 308. I like it fine for its purpose. But it would be nice to have the 10 round option. Not worried about more, just 10. My 7400 is not a battle rifle but it is semi-auto and I do have 10 round magazines that fit it. It is simply a preference I hope gets met by someone. Just like someone figured out how to get 13 rounds in s pistol mag built for 10.

Give it time. You said you're impatient but nothing happens overnight. If the Patriot has a good following, aftermarket mfrs will pick up on and make another mag. Despite what many perceive, gun mfrs are in it for the money. If it makes their customers happy that is a bonus. That is why there are so many crappy designs out there. Most can't keep up with the demand right now let alone design accessories only a few may purchase. As gun owners, we may be our own worst enemy, buying up every bit and piece that comes out.

Back