• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

NEW PATRIOT

Anyone purchase or shoot the 30-06 model? Thinking about getting a new hunting rifle and started looking with the Mossberg Patriots. Thanks in advance.

Mine has the two-tone salt and pepper laminate stock with the cross bolts. Haven't taken it apart yet to see how the cross bolts mate with the stock yet. Like Shawn 54's experience, my 375 Ruger Patriot is a tack driver with the right ammunition. It likes the 270 grain Hornady Interlocks and the 250 grain Hornady CX.

Attachments

• 20210506_122201.jpg
    20210506_122201.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 3
A while back I bought 7.62x51 Subsonic 200 Grain FMJ Sellier Bellot rounds, thinking they would be great for the AR-10, now that I have a can for it. Then I read the fine print: due to the lower pressure to get the rounds sub-sonic, they won't cycle a semi auto rifle.

Has any Patriot [or MVP] owner here tried sub-sonic ammo? Maybe I can use the ammo I bought as an excuse to shop for a Patriot / MVP!!

A while back I bought 7.62x51 Subsonic 200 Grain FMJ Sellier Bellot rounds, thinking they would be great for the AR-10, now that I have a can for it. Then I read the fine print: due to the lower pressure to get the rounds sub-sonic, they won't cycle a semi auto rifle.

Has any Patriot [or MVP] owner here tried sub-sonic ammo? Maybe I can use the ammo I bought as an excuse to shop for a Patriot / MVP!!
You could "tune" the AR-10 to work with subs but why would you? ;) I'm theorizing you would have to ream the gas port or get a "special" barrel and adj. gas block to port a little more gas to the bolt. Maybe a different buffer and spring? There are ways to get any semi to run with a can and subs, but then that gun should not be used with other ammo. But you knew this already. ;)

The good news is you can use that can with 7.62x35 (300BO) and get a lot better results and functioning with subs in a slightly smaller AR-15 platform.

With a bolt gun and can, ALL the gas will go through the can so you may not achieve the same results in noise suppression.

But this sounds like the PERFECT reason to buy a new rifle... :D

One thing you can do is on either an AR-10 or an AR-15 is install an adjustable gas key which lets you fine tune the action without any modification to the gas port.

Attaching a pitcure. I haven't priced one lately but they use to be around $50-$75 depending on manufacture. Very simple adjustment.

1709582227804.png

Thought I'd add another picture of an adjustable gas key showing how it's adjusted. These work well to fine tune the action of either and AR-15 or AR-10. You simply use the allen wrench to adjust the threaded rod to increase or decrease the gas flow volume as shown in the cutaway.

1709620307374.png

That adjustable gas device is interesting. I'm not sure that I'm the one to do the adjusting, though. I think the AR-10 is going to stay as-is, and the practical, logical alternative to using the S&B subsonic ammo is to find someone locally that CAN use it and make a trade.

However....I did see a Mossberg MVP Patrol w/ 16.25" barrel in .308/7.62 x 51 for just over $530. There would be shipping and the draconian "transfer fee" by the local FFL, so it may not be the bargain of the year but nonetheless - tempting.

Back