• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Product Opinions wanted

fmj50

.22LR
Hey all, I'm new here. I'm a one man (disabled) shop looking to get into a new product for the Mossberg tactical pump shotguns.
I have a model 500 and a Meverick 88, both 12 ga.
I like / need the advantage of a forend vertical grip, and after a short research I found that 500s have a 6.5" long slide tube, newer 500s have a 7 5/8, and Mavericks have a basically non-removable forend.
So, I am in the R&D process of a 'Slide On Tri-Rail' that will simply slide over any of the above mentioned shotgun's existing forend.
It will come with 3 aluminum rails, one long on botton, and a short on either side at 90 deg..
It will use an advanced 'space age' bonding material, that will come with it, ( tests are underway).
If successful, this will give owners an affordable alternative to adding a trirail forend, and it will also eliminate the need for disassembly of the slide tube, and also work on Mav 88s.
I know there are aftermarket forends with rails, but all require disassembly.
Once a successful prototype has been tested by me, I would sure like to give one or two away for further testing, and this board seemed like the perfect place to seek testers.
I'm looking forward to your opinions!

Best of luck in your endeavours. I hope it becomes a successful and profitible venture for you. I'm sure there is lots of hard work and brainstorming behind the scenes.

Thank You, and Yes, it's proving to be a lot of work, but looks promising at this point.
Do you think people will be interested ?
Anyway, i'll post pics and results as they come in.
Thanks again .

I t could be valuable to those that have pinned forends and do not want to spend the extra money to purchase a new forend tube assembly.

I could also see it useful to those that have a non-12 gauge 500 that have a difficult time finding the parts they want to complete the built that desire. The 410 and 20 gauge models seem to be quite popular for HD due to the light weight and lower recoil but there are fewer compatible parts for them esp when you get into the forend because they use a smaller diameter magazine tube then the 12 gauge models.

Would your product be available in different sizes for different gauge guns?
How much bulk and weight will it add?
Would the rails be removable?
Could it be removed after being glued on?
How would you market it to make it more appealing then just bolting/gluing a rail to the users current forend?

Personally I don't like a bulky forend and I would be afraid that a slip on product would add too much girth to the forend, esp after you add rail covers to cover the parts of the rail that are not being utilized.

Personally I don't like VG on a shotgun and I prefer to mount the lights more forward on a non moving part of the gun so admittedly I'm not one of the target market but I could see it filling a niche depending on the the questions I posed above and the price.

Good luck in your endeavor.

1st off, thanks for your insight, it is helpful !

Would your product be available in different sizes for different gauge guns?
> To start with it would be for 12ga 500, 590, mav88 and any with that same forend.

How much bulk and weight will it add?
> it will be a 1/4 wall thickness tube 5" long, rails will be approx 5" on bottom and 2.5" on sides, low profile.

Would the rails be removable?
> the rails and the tube will be semi-permanent and after installation, it should be very hard to remove, but new forends can be bought for about 20.00

How would you market it to make it more appealing then just bolting/gluing a rail to the users current forend?
> If it is successful, it would be marketed as being usable an any slide legth, no disassembly required, tough, tri-rail, and hopefully will look 'tacticool' but be a very practical accessory.

Thanks for the reply.

Back