• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New to me Mossberg 500 ATP

Mossberg 500 ATP.JPG

Hello All-

Well, my wife HATED the "black plastic" tactical persuader I recently posted on this forum, and I sold it last week. So, I've been looking at Mossberg's "Retograde" line they recently introduced. I really like them, but they are VERY expensive. I went to the gun show yesterday to see what was available. As luck would have it, I found this Mossberg 500 ATP from the 1980's at a price of just over half of a new one. It's in GREAT shape, and came with a heat shield which I removed to reduce weight, and has the sling swivels. One interesting side note- I took this gun apart last night to check it out, and was able to compare it to the Tactical Persuader I recently sold. The barrel on this gun is heavier gauge (thicker) steel and the parts on the inside such as the bolt and extractor have heavier duty springs. If anyone has some info on this model, I'd appreciate your input. My guess is, this was a police turn-in, or possibly from one of the MANY prisons in my area.

Djcala- Thanks for your input! The term "classic lines" is exactly what attracted me to this gun. I've seen countless movies with "riot guns" in them, and that's what comes to my mind with this shotgun. I put a sling on it since it has the swivel studs.

By the way, I used a torch to break the magazine tube from the receiver in order to access the magazine spring. I lucked out since it didn't take much heat, and unscrewed with no difficulty. Now I can change the spring out, since it was a little weak.

The weak spring was probably why it was sold because the former owner either didnt' want to fool with it or didn't know what to do. In either case, that's good for you.

I really like how it looks. But what's more important, how's it shoot?

oh, forgot to add:
The ATP was the original Mossy military and police shotgun before the 590 and the 590a1 existed. So, good find.

John A- It shoots great! Cycles very well. I believe the weight of the wood stock helps absorb recoil. It seems my Remington 870 with a synthetic stock kicks more. Also, I put the heat shield back on it, since that's part of the "classic look", and also helps absorb recoil.

Sounds great.

The wood stock probably does help fight some of the recoil better. While my 500 does have a plastic stock, I also prefer wood. My old 870 is wood.

I think wood also has less give to it and is more solid too.

I really didn't care too much for the "blonde" furniture that came on this shotgun. As Djcala said, it has "classic lines", and I wanted the wood to look a little more "classic". So, I refinished it a darker color, added the sling and heat shield. I think it looks "older" with the darker stock and forend, which is what I was going for.

Attachments

• Mossberg .JPG
    Mossberg .JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 15
Oh yes. I wish I could like that post twice.

That's exactly what I like too. Much better. Did you use stain or oil rub?

Only gun stock that I have that has blonde wood was my first shotgun that my Dad gave me. It's staying just like it is from the first time that I saw him pull it out of the trunk to hand to me. But other than that one exception, I like a dark stock and forend.

John A- Thanks very much for your kind words!! I consider myself to be the WORST wood re-finisher on the planet. I tried to re-finish an old Marlin 30-30 with light-colored wood last year, and it was so-so. I tried something different this time. I started with penetrating oil stain. Then I added some gel stain for the really light areas. Then I put a coat of poly-stain to seal everything. So far-so good. I hope it will hold up to use, but if not, I can add some more stain.

A trick that my Dad taught me years ago, if you use a cotton rag or paper towels, dip it in the stain and then squeeze it out the best you can so there isn't as much stain getting on the wood initially so it doesn't get too dark when it touches it and soaks it up like a sponge

That way, you just rub it onto the piece gradually rather than having a big black glob and then light around it, it makes it a lot more uniform once you start rubbing the piece.

It's a lot easier to go darker with multiple coats, rather than trying to blend it in with coats too dark.

Plus, a little can of stain lasts a lot longer that way too because there isn't as much waste.

I have it's twin! I bought mine at Cabelas for $300 used, and since have started putting the corncob grips on all my model 500's. I had a Maverick 88 that I bought with the plastic foregrip and stock, and it was so light, and the comb height was different, and it pounded and was smashing my cheek, and bruised me.

Mossberg_500ATP_series_1976_catalog.jpg

5de7046b160ddf8bd22f78cf1942cd60.jpg

Here is a pic of my ATP along my Maverick 88 with the wood furniture to make it look like at ATP8

Attachments

• 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 18
I really didn't care too much for the "blonde" furniture that came on this shotgun. As Djcala said, it has "classic lines", and I wanted the wood to look a little more "classic". So, I refinished it a darker color, added the sling and heat shield. I think it looks "older" with the darker stock and forend, which is what I was going for.
that looks beautiful!!

Back