• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New to Me Problems with Lyman case gauge and Lee resize lube

hombre243

.30-06
(I have posted this in different forums where I am a member. It is for edification of all members.)

Lyman headspace/case length gauge...

I got a gauge for the 223 and one for the 308. I will be getting one for the 3030. They are very handy but...

First, resize your brass. Then slide a case into the case gauge; if you have the gauge sitting on a table and you see the case base sticking up out of the gauge, first check the cartridge length. It MAY be too long. But if the case is not too long, check the base diameter across the primer pocket. Check it in a couple directions around the edge.

I had 3 bad cases that the gauge said were out of proper headspace measurement. Not so. Before I trimmed a case I tried it in my rifle. It chambered great. But, I got the file out and ran the little bast...file around the rim a few times, until the case settled nicely into the gauge, proving the headspace was not off spec, but the case head rim was too big to fit into the gauge.

I checked headstamps and out of 3 2 were WCC and one was LC. Then I had another problem which I remedied post haste.

I used Lee water based resize lube on some once fired 223 cases. I did about 15 cases and then the SHTF. I tore two bases off the cases because the lube dried a little too much before I got to the cases. It took a bit of pounding and some prying but I finally got the case out of the die, and then the pin out of the case. Then I reassembled the die, ran the next case through the lee lubed rubber pad and the case did the same thing. Lost 2 like new cases to crappy lube. The 2 tubes I got last year and am finally getting around to trying now reside in the trash can next to all the large rifle primer debris. The 2 brass cases were given honorable disposal in with the lead slag and other tossed away cases.

I do not know if they will ever make it to the scrap yard but they are now out of my hair.

I cleaned off the pad with goop and rinsed it good with hot water. It dries fast being non porous. I applied some RCBS goose grease on to the pad and did a few more 223s w/o any problems. Now it is time for a lot of coffee, Netflix and wait for the mail delivery person, henceforth to be called "mailman" because I am not PC and am proud of it, who will at her earliest convenience, not mine shower with me...I mean shower me with hundreds of 223 and 308 cases, and if the UPS guy makes it through the cold and snowless wilderness of eastern Iowa, a few hundred more once fired 3030 cases. I don't know what I will do with all of them. I am almost out of primers.

Interesting and troubling that you had these issues. Thank you for posting here in The Reloading Room, hombre243.

I can say that since I went to Imperial Sizing Wax I have never had a single issue of a case sticking in a rifle cartridge sizing die.

And please correct me if I am wrong but the re-sized case is measured for correct headspace from the shoulder datum to the cartridge base. I did not think headspace was tested against the length of the case neck. If the un-trimmed case neck sticks thru the case gauge it might appear to be too long when the headspace is actually just perfect. That IMO is why those cases chambered okay but seemed like they didn't pass the case gauge.

Interesting and troubling that you had these issues. Thank you for posting here in The Reloading Room, hombre243.

I can say that since I went to Imperial Sizing Wax I have never had a single issue of a case sticking in a rifle cartridge sizing die.

And please correct me if I am wrong but the re-sized case is measured for correct headspace from the shoulder datum to the cartridge base. I did not think headspace was tested against the length of the case neck. If the un-trimmed case neck sticks thru the case gauge it might appear to be too long when the headspace is actually just perfect. That IMO is why those cases chambered okay but seemed like they didn't pass the case gauge.

This is the first time I used the water based Lee lube. I won't make that mistake again. As mentioned, RCBS lube works fine. It is stickier than STP. And about 2x as slick. I also found out later this evening I had a shell holder for a 9mm in the press. Possibly that is why I ripped the case out of the shellholder. I actually finessed one case into a proper shell holder and pulled the damaged case out. Another thing i learned is that I will be using cases off the lube pad every time and I won't skip a lubed one for an unlubed one just to see if there is still enough lube in the die...there won't be.

I am not too worried about these troubles. It is all a learning experience. It was the first time with a different lube. I went back to the one i have been using for 5 years. Prior to buying my first centerfire rifle all I loaded was 45 Colt, 45 ACP and 9mm. No lube needed.

Now I am getting ready to get another lever gun. SO I will be loading for that soon.

Oh, you are right about measuring headspace. That explanation had nothing to do with head space. It had to do with an over sized or out of round base. The reason I mentioned to make sure the case was trimmed is so you will know that an over long case neck is not what is causing the base to not enter the case gauge.

After you trim, then re enter the case into the gauge. If it sticks out of the gauge see if the base is bigger that spec or if it is out of round, either of which will make it LOOK like headspace is off. It may be but is probably not. I had several cases that had an oversized base. But the base was not so big that I could not push it all the way into the gauge. If it had been because of a too long headspace I I would not have had the strength to bump down the shoulder with thumb pressure. But I did push the case the rest of the way in so I knew it was a big or ovaled out base. I used a file on the areas that were the widest off from the rest of the edges of the case and with just a few strokes of a file the case slid in and slid back just like it is supposed to. I think you should reread that part. It should unconfuse you now that I did a little more explaining. Once I got the proper shellholder in place I did 100 more no problems...just like usual.

Back