• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New to Mossberg--Bought a Patriot 375 ruger

triggerpull

Copper BB
Hi folks--just signed up being that I just bought my very first Mossberg product--a Patriot in 375 ruger. A very-well made product at an incredible price point IMO. I hand-load my own ammunition so I look forward to sharing some recipes with those of you have the same rifle. I've already fired a range of loads from 235 gr "milds" to near full pressure 275 grs "head snap-backers." I've yet to find a load that gets me sub-MOA--but some of that might be due to getting used to this level of power.

Went out today to try again--although temps were in the teens and there was light snow coming down I thought it would be good practice. Worked up 5 4-shot groups of 250 gamekings driven by win 760

I'm still getting used to finding the sweet spot for holding the rifle--it's not just a question of good hold and trigger control--but also how to properly absorb the thumping recoil.

As with my other loads--most groups were around 2 to 2.5" and was getting pretty discouraged until Ding! I finally found a good charge.

Up until this group I was allowing for a pretty long cool down between shots--the first shot in this group was after a few minutes' cool down and impacted low--the next three seemed to tighten up well when the barrel was warmer and were taken about 30 seconds apart. I'm not sure if the cold and the type of powder used may have been factors.

Welcome and congrats on the new rifle. I thought .375r was prized for knockdown power more than accuracy, but it appears to have both.

What powder are you using?

Are you strictly a target shooter, or are you going out for bear?

Welcome and congrats on the new rifle. I thought .375r was prized for knockdown power more than accuracy, but it appears to have both.

What powder are you using?

Are you strictly a target shooter, or are you going out for bear?
90% of my shooting is target--but almost all my hand-loads are designed to be hunting loads.
I do hunt but mostly deer in the east--but I anticipate going for some Elk out west possibly this year or next. As mentioned above I used win 760--this particular load was 81.2 grs. This is a very interesting gun and I'm finding the cartridge to be quite versatile--though without a doubt a harder-recoiling rifle than my others. It's nice to know I can load up in case I go to mean critter country one day.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...

Welcome from MI!!

IMG_0207.JPG I have the 375 also thought I was the only one on this site. Welcome.
I don't know what you want to spend on bullets but I have great accuracy with GS Custom 200hv they are a monolithic pure copper bullet moving at 3213fps and giving me sub moa with a few groups that would fit under a dime. And no indication of high pressure. Pic above was first 4shot group I fired.

Last edited:
Back