• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New to the site - Inherited my grandpa's guns

sixstringhook

Copper BB
Hey everyone.

First time gun owner, but have been around them my entire life. My grandpa just recently gave me all of his guns as he hasn't used any of them since the mid 80's. The following are what he gave me (i do not have pic's at this time)

Remington .22 bolt action single shot
Winchester model 37 single shot 16 gauge
H&R model 1900 .410 single shot
Mossberg 500 20 gauge w/ C-Lect Choke
Mossberg 500 20 gauge w/ C-Lect Choke

The two mossbergs were purchased by my uncle in 1983 as he wanted to go hunting again w/ my grandpa. They went pheasant hunting that season but called it quits after that.

I have always been a fan of Mossberg shotguns and am thrilled to have all of these guns. They sat in a dormer in an attic since 1984 with the exception of one of the 20 gauges. My uncle kept his but left it in the trunk of his car for a year. It rusted up pretty bad but i was able to get it cleaned to the point of functioning. I have put about 50 rounds thru it with the old Tire and rope from a distance firing and it works perfect.

The other guns were suprisingly all in very good working order and just needed to be cleaned up.

Howdy sixstringhook, and welcome to the club!
Nice instant collection you have! I can't wait to see pix of them!

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I love shooting the 20 ga. mossberg's but to be honest, the little .410 and the .22 are a complete blast to shoot. Too bad the .410 costs 14 bucks per box of 25. I actually did pretty well shooting skeet with it. The .22 is still dialed in perfect as it was my grandpa's rabbit gun and he used to do alot of rabbit hunting. It was probably mostly luck but was able to hit a silver dollar sized metal gong target from standing at 50 yards. From prone i was able to keep 15 shots in a 3 inch grouping at 60 yards and this all with iron sites.

With the nicer 20 ga, i was able to keep grouping of 6-8 inches at 50 yards w/ rifled slugs.

I have a Winchester 37 in 16 ga that my grandpa gave me too. I probably has about a million rounds through it lol, my gramps bought it new when he was a kid in 1938……. I want to say it cost like 20 something bucks new. He had ton of rounds through it in trap. I learned to shoot clay with it. I put a ton through it and am still shooting up all the reloads he had for it, I have shot countless clays and live birds with and it is one of the best shotguns I have ever owned........welcome to the site

I have never bought one 16 ga shell, I have the reloader for it that was my Grandpa's as well but he reloaded so many that there are still probably 1000 rounds for it. If I ever shoot them up I'll just reload for it now that you told me how much the ammo was......I have never even priced it lol.....

Welcome to Mossberg Owners SixString!

Thats an awesome collection! I've always wanted one of those C-Lect chokes!

sixstringhook said:
yeah, the 16 gauge is alot of fun however another gun that costs 14-15 bucks a box for ammo.

One of my favorite shotguns is a 16 gauge single shot stevens that my Dad gave me when I was about 14.

$14 a box of ammo. :shock:

Hmmm. You must be shopping at walmart.

You can find them (and 410) online for less than $9 a box if you look in the right places, but if you're not buying in bulk, adding ORM-d shipping charges can eat the savings pretty quickly.

Oli, I didn't know you reloaded for 16 gauge too.

I might have to remember that since it's getting harder and harder to find 16 gauge shells anywhere locally (and even online). My walmart doesn't even stock them anymore, which I think is a shame because the 16 gauge is so overlooked. Seems like all you read about is if 12 gauge has too much recoil then switch to a 20 gauge. Completely forgetting that there is another gun between them. :x

I've used both 12's and 16's extensively and personally think that a 16 gauge will do nearly everything just as good as a 12 gauge, but with less recoil. The only thing I limit myself with a 16 gauge is the maximum distance I'll take a shot and will stalk in a few yards closer, but I like to get in close as I can anyway and is part of the thrill.

If it comes to the point I can't find shells to buy, I may have to start hoarding empty hulls and hit you up one of these days. :lol: I personally don't ever want to see the day I have to put up the old stevens for the last time because I can't find shells to feed it. It's been way too good of a gun for that and I have always enjoyed the 16.

I have the MEC 300 or 310 that is set up for 16 but the last time I used it was to pitch in on the reloading duties when I was about 10 yo or so. I believe it is all there but I haven’t had to use it myself. It is an ancient MEC that I couldn’t find anything for to convert it to 12g , that’s why I recently bought that used MEC 650 Jr. I will never lose track of another 16g hull.

I agree though , I haven’t found anything that the 12 can do better baring distance and I have never shot a 16g slug ……This is going to sound bad but there were about 50 wild cats that went down to it. They were crapping in the yard, eating all the family pets food and fighting with the “barn” cats all the time……so it was cleanly done……nothing like stepping in a big pile of cat crap on your way to work……vibram soles…… :x

Welcome aboard!

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of your new collection in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

Welcome from MI!!

Now that's an instant collection.

Thanks for all the welcomes!

The C-LECT chokes are ok. The down side to them is you have to make sure to adjust them regularly or risk them seizing up between shooting.

Unfortunately I am in a bit of a quandary. I would like to be able to put a red dot on the 20 ga i m going to have for HD but both of the 20 ga's are old enough that the receivers are not drilled and tapped.

John A. said:
Would something like this work?

I'm unsure if the 20 gauge and 12 gauge receivers are interchangable or not, but thought I would put this out there.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/211616 ... hand-matte

unfortunately not. I went to a local gun shop and they had one of these and a 20 ga 500 and we tried and it is too wide. plus, from what i have heard, those are not terribly reliable and have the tendency to move. I do have a nice drill press and drill press vice. I may try to drill and tap it or just take it to a shop to have it done.

The feeling of getting legacy guns handed down to you must be quite remarkable. My grand dads and my own dad were never into guns whatsoever. Consider yourself quite fortunate to have grown up being with your grand dad and how you can now hold those very same guns as your own.

nitesite said:
The feeling of getting legacy guns handed down to you must be quite remarkable. My grand dads and my own dad were never into guns whatsoever. Consider yourself quite fortunate to have grown up being with your grand dad and how you can now hold those very same guns as your own.

its a thrill for sure. He bought the .410 when he was 9 years old and it was used then. That would have been around 1944. He saved up his money, walked into the store by himself and paid 15 dollars for it and some shells (he came from nebraska). He then bought the remington .22 model 514 in 1950. the winchester model 37 16 gauge was purchased used in 1954. and finally as i had stated above, the mossy's were purchased in the early 80's.

One of the most thrilling things about having these guns is the fact that the .22, .410 and the 16 gauge were all used for hunting for the food he provided for my grandma, my mom and my aunt and uncle. That's a pretty awesome thing when you think about it.

I am very glad that you are proud of the guns, and realize the importance of the role they fulfilled for your family.

That IS awesome!

It's an amazing opportunity to put your hands on items like that. You're a lucky man...

Back