• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Normal Wear?

mikehill85

Copper BB
I have a Mossberg 930. It had some issues out of the box which Mossberg fixed. However, I recently noticed the attached gouge on my bolt lock where it interfaces with the bolt carrier. Do you guys think this is "normal"? Obviously the bolt lock is key to the safe functioning of the gun. Without it you have a straight blowback shotgun. Not ideal.

Bolt Dent2.jpg Bolt Dent.jpg

Thanks for joining and adding those pictures and description in all 3 of your forum posts so far.

I'm sure there is someone that may understand what's going on with it. I personally don't so am going to refrain from giving any advice, other than to mention that perhaps maybe you should call and ask Mossberg directly. Looks like the anodizing is worn on those parts and I'm not sure what amount that Mossberg deems as normal or excessive.

1-800-363-3555

Thanks for joining and adding those pictures and description in all 3 of your forum posts so far.

I'm sure there is someone that may understand what's going on with it. I personally don't so am going to refrain from giving any advice, other than to mention that perhaps maybe you should call and ask Mossberg directly. Looks like the anodizing is worn on those parts and I'm not sure what amount that Mossberg deems as normal or excessive.

Thanks. I have talked to them and they are sending me a new bolt assembly. I am new to shotguns in general and don't know what is normal. It is a pretty decent dent and I haven't been doing anything crazy. I've just been shooting 2-3/4" factory loads nothing absurdly hot. Winchester Super X rifled slugs (1600 fps, 1 oz) for the most part. I was mostly wondering if anyone has seen similar wear on other shotguns. The odd thing is there is no comparable wear on the parts the bolt lock interfaces with (i.e. the locking recess and the bolt carrier).

Is the photo of the bolt assembly with the wear on it part of the bolt, or a photo of something else? I don't have a 930 so I'm flying blind.

If there is no wear on the bolt, I don't understand why they would be replacing the bolt assembly.

As for the velocity that you mentioned with the Winchester x rifle slugs (1600 fps), that is extremely hot 12 gauge ammo. Most shells are often between 1200 fps and 1450 fps just for reference.

Is the photo of the bolt assembly with the wear on it part of the bolt, or a photo of something else? I don't have a 930 so I'm flying blind.

If there is no wear on the bolt, I don't understand why they would be replacing the bolt assembly.

As for the velocity that you mentioned with the Winchester x rifle slugs (1600 fps), that is extremely hot 12 gauge ammo. Most shells are often between 1200 fps and 1450 fps just for reference.

It is part of the bolt assembly. Please see below.
Bolt Assembly.png

It is the part that locks into a recess on the top of the receiver when the gun is fired to allow for opening of the action after pressures have reached safe levels. When the gun fires, gas is vented to a gas piston which pushes on the bolt carrier (located under the bolt). The "legs" on the bolt lock with the marks on them (in the photo) get pushed by the bolt carrier which pivots the head of the bolt lock down out of the recess, unlocking the action. The marks are made by the top of the bolt carrier. I specifically asked if they were sending the whole bolt assembly or just the bolt lock. They said they are sending a whole new bolt assembly. Maybe it is just easier to send the whole bolt assembly or they are sending me an entire new bolt assembly out of an abundance of caution since they don't want a customer potentially screwing up the re-installation of the bolt lock. The bolt lock is the only thing stopping you from having a straight blowback shotgun which probably wouldn't work out too well for the shooter or gun.

I guess since my range only allows slugs what I consider hot and what others think of as being hot are different things. I guess I mean hot, for slugs. I would consider a 1760 fps 1 oz slug to be hot. I guess that begs the question of whether or not the Mossberg 930 is suited for continuous use of slugs...which they themselves recommend for breaking in the gun.

Last edited:
Is that part aluminum or steel? It looked like anodized aluminum to me.

The new bolt assembly came today. I just checked it with a magnet. The bolt, bolt lock, bolt carrier, ect. are steel. The receiver is aluminum though. That said, I had to send in the old bolt assembly so I could only check the new bolt lock. If the old one was aluminum that would certainly explain things...but I don't think they'd be dumb enough to design a gun with aluminum on steel contact...hopefully not anyway.

If you look at the first photo I posted, with the old bolt assembly, I was actually able to rotate the bolt lock at a 90 degree angle relative to the bolt (out the top of the bolt). On the new bolt the bolt lock is completely captive and I can't do that.

Thanks for letting us know something to watch for.

Back