1. Thank you Mossberg Owners for making us the greatest Gun forum on the planet.

Noticing a lot of pistol caliber carbines being sold

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by John A., Jul 18, 2017.

1. Water Monkey

Water Monkey The man, the myth, the monkey Forum Moderator Supporter

Range report!
    cmcdonald likes this.
  2. cmcdonald

cmcdonald Forum Moderator Staff Member Forum Moderator Supporter "Philanthropist"

I will definitely give a report as soon as I get her out for a spin.
  3. cmcdonald

cmcdonald Forum Moderator Staff Member Forum Moderator Supporter "Philanthropist"

E90FEEC1-FD6B-4C0D-9614-041043AFDF1F.jpeg
    Disassembled, cleaned, switched over extractor and ejection port to accomodate a southpaw shooter such as myself. I’m impressed with the fit and finish...definitely a quality firearm. It’s well thought out and (surprise, surprise) everything works just as it should.

I have a question for @John A. : how much lube do you use for all your various pistol caliber carbines? This is my first larger bolt semi-auto. (Speaking of which...the bolt is freakin’ massive and heavy!)

I tend to be a little light on the lube with all my other guns.
    Water Monkey likes this.
  4. cmcdonald

DB94EC17-1849-4730-90C6-62A1E72E18C6.jpeg
    Got her put back together with just a light coat of Hoppes No. 9.

Will still hafta look into switching over the safety and mag release as well.

So far I’m very happy with it and as long as it lives up to its reputation I think we’ll be just fine.:)
    Water Monkey and John A. like this.
  5. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

One thing I have learned about the Beretta's.

You don't have to question if they will work or not.

Still, I want to know how it works and what you think of it ;)

I typically zero my carbines at 25 yards. This takes care of most any distance that you'll be using the 9mm, out to 100 yards or more easily.

Once you really get out there (almost 100 yards) you can aim at the head and hit in the torso all day long. But I suspect you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.
    meanstreak and cmcdonald like this.
  6. cmcdonald

The CX4 has a short and long range rear sight...just flip ‘em back and forth. Pretty cool feature. The manual doesn’t give any starting point for sighting so I’ll probably just take your recommendation and zero the SR sight for 25 yds and the LR for 75 yds.
  7. Water Monkey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sickness has started again....

Andersen light weight slick upper, Andersen lower, Fortis 12" Night Rail, and got in the KAK Industry Adapter colt style mags
    dieselmudder, cmcdonald and John A. like this.
  8. John A.

Looking very good so far.

I didn't even know that Anderson had a non-FA upper.

I don't recall who made my upper or where I bought it, but it's a slickside too. No FA or shell deflector variant.

9mm bolts don't have notches for the forward assist anyway.

ar9 001.JPG
    cmcdonald and Water Monkey like this.
  9. Water Monkey

Yeah neither did I. Found it on Aim surplus $50 shipped.
    cmcdonald and John A. like this.
  10. John A.

Very good price.

You may also not have noticed in the picture above, but there are also two roll pins I installed through my mag block/magwell. This was to make the mag adapter semi-permanent. No risk of nothing moving around at the worst possible time with the way I have that set up. :thumbsup:
    cmcdonald and Water Monkey like this.
  11. cmcdonald

Finally got out ‘er for a quick test run today. We were up at the cabin, still a butt load of snow up there. Had to leave the truck and strike out on snowshoes. It’s hard to tell from the picture but there’s about 4ft of snow compacted down a bit by snowmobile traffic on the road.

FB165E7B-7E80-456B-B199-E7FC40980DCF.jpeg

Anyway, this was strictly a function test. Didn’t have enough time to set up properly with so much snow. I usually move off quite away from the road but too much white crap for that.

So I ran a few mags through it no problems at all. And from the couple trees that became sacrificial targets it appeared to be relatively accurate through the short range sights.

Recoil was light and snappy as I expected. Someone said somewhere that they thought the recoil was heavy on the CX4....obviously they’ve never fired 12 ga slugs or full power rifle rounds!! It was really tame, easy to carry, point, aim and shoot. Significantly lighter than packing my Rem 870 or 700 down the trail.

Once old man winter leaves the northern woods, I’ll get out for some range time and try to get her dialed in. Who knows by then maybe I’ll have an optic for her.

Any suggestions for an intermediate optic? Thinking some magnification for
    hunting would be good but something that would be suitable for closer targets as well....
    John A. likes this.
  12. zzrguy

zzrguy .410

I'm all set to buy the new Ruger PCC in 9mm to go with my glock. (Wish someone made a new handgun in 38 super and carbine to go with it) I'd like to see the Ruger PCC in 10mm now you could hunt with it. I like the idea of a fast handling rifle for bugging out. Till I bought the MVP Scout my SKS was my bug out gun no scope but those iron sight work for me and I'm good to 150yds with it. I like the one mag fits all thing too with the ruger and glock.
    cmcdonald likes this.
  13. Water Monkey

No LIF scum allowed.... :p

jk

If you want something in a specific caliber, I suggest look into building it yourself. More satisfying and you get exactly what you want.

If I was bugging out... I'd be carrying my 5.56 NATO rifle. If I was bugging out from a vehicle instead of humping on foot I'd probably add the 9mm converted Upper and guts too
  14. dieselmudder

dieselmudder .30-06 Elite "Philanthropist"

I've read good reviews on the KAK mag adapters. Personal thoughts? I've been looking for the Anderson slick side upper, that's what I used on my first AR. I'll have to check aim.... I've bought ammo from them once, but I never think to check there when I'm parts shopping.
  15. Water Monkey

Picked up KAK on a friend's recommendation. He's a RSO and shoots a lot. He likes it. When I build mine he will have a good amount through it. So I'll keep you updated
    cmcdonald and dieselmudder like this.
  16. Bobster

Bobster .30-06 Supporter

During the range day with the kids last week, I demonstrated the forward assist how and why it is on the AR-15 (with an empty case). I then pointed out the superfluousness of the FA on the PSA AR-9, whose bolt does not have FA "slots"... :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    John A. likes this.
  17. Bobster

Bobster .30-06 Supporter

I LIKE IT! :) I held a used specimen in a gun store about 9 months ago and it had a "nice" feel to it, despite its futuristic appearance. At $400, the urge to purchase was great, but I did not succumb... :cool:

Don't they make Glock and Beretta mag versions? Yours looks like the Glock version, correct? Do they limit you to 10rds up there?
    cmcdonald likes this.
  18. zzrguy

zzrguy .410

But we're the nice none judgemental guys AHE.

I've built a ton of ARs the problem is the mag wells no one makes a lower that will take a 10mm mag or 38 super mags
  19. John A.

zzrguy, I'm holding my breath for the 10mm and 45acp Rugers. I don't even know if they are even in the works right now, but I think they would be good sellers nonetheless. I would have a difficult time choosing which to buy if they were both offered.

cmcdonald, your points are right along my feelings too. They're easy to carry, easy to shoot.

I typically like a simple red dot on my 9mm's, but if you want some zoom zoom, the bushnell 1.75-4 scope with circle x reticle is another of my favorites. Here you can find them between $75-$120.

In the low power magnification, you can get a fast bead on target, and our terrain and underbrush and overgrowth, I don't think you get very many "long shots" either unless you're shooting along power lines or roads. In that regard, I think we live and hunt in similar terrain.

I actually have 3 of those scopes mounted right now. One on my blackout Ar15 upper, another on my single shot 357 magnum, and the other is on my crossbow, which I took a nice doe with last year. They work well at the distances that I hunt.

The simmons pro diamond 1-5x32 shotgun scope is another good performer. Don't let the "shotgun scope" in the title fool you. They are right at home on pistol calibers too. I just like a low power scope where and how I hunt.
    cmcdonald likes this.
  20. cmcdonald

@Bobster ...this particular one uses the Beretta 92 mags, which are quite pricey up here 70-80 bucks each. I’m not aware of a Glock mag compatible version but I’ve been known to be wrong before...just ask my wife. On second thought, don’t bother...just take my word for it! LOL

To my knowledge the CX4 takes either Beretta 92 or px4 mags.

I only wish I could’ve bought this thing for $400....try almost triple that amount here.:(