• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Novice needs accessory advice for home defense

John, my thoughts exactly. My Mossberg wears many hats, it’s a sports utility gun to me. Not only is it defensive but equally offensive. It doesn’t just sit in the corner waiting to defend. My pup is 13 weeks old now and when he sees it he just goes and sits buy the front door, waiting for the next adventure.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum dwally !!

Lots of good advice has been offered here...let us know what you finally decide.

dwally said:
One more question, from the replies it appears most of you dont feel a laser is needed. Why is that?

I hate to answer a question with a question but why do you think you need one, what scenario are you thinking of that a laser is the solution to ?

I think it is a handy tool. I would love one if I had a PG only shotgun……I would like one on anything I might be hip shooting like a handgun, or if there was no chance I needed to care about identifying a target in the dark.
If you are going to point a gun why not aim it? If you are aiming it then you don’t need a laser. A laser might be good for someone who isn’t proficient at aiming like a novice shooter might be. To that I would have to ask if this person needs to be the one behind the gun in the first place and training would be a much better investment in time and money than a laser.
And finally a laser isn’t going to ID a target. I haven’t tried it but to me it seems like using a high lumen weapon light in conjunction with a laser would suck for seeing the laser ?

John A. said:
Some would say that my scattergun is "excessive" but I have put a lot of thought into the way it sits and is what I want and does exactly what I need.

KISS varies from person to person. I agree with keeping things as simple as possible, but I have a lot of expectations out of my shotgun that I require too.

oli700 said:
John, my thoughts exactly. My Mossberg wears many hats, it’s a sports utility gun to me.

I agree with these statements. I especially agree with the double duty statement! Thats among my primary philosophies too!

My 590A1 isnt only for HD/SD, but I hunt with it, and take it out for as much range time as I can get, not just for load patterning but for target/plinking. Its the first gun I grab no matter what we're doin!

Oli! My dog is the same way, only shes outside!

Hey fellas.

My Mossberg seems to be different from most of the ones these vendors are selling products for. When I was looking at the images for the forend replacement, none of them have rails. Mine has the metal rails attached to the plastic slide. See picture attached, I thought I read somewhere that the newest 500's have this feature and most after market forends don't work. Is this true? I would like to attach the light to the forend to keep the reach down and weight centered.

forend.JPG

As far as the other options, I have decided to go with a adjustable knoxx stock, no pistol grip. Someone also asked why I want a laser. It is to assist with aim for my wife. Yes, she needs to learn to shoot properly, not from the hip, and practice her aim.. Thats going to take time and she is enthusiastic so it should go well, but until then, I want the assistance for her.

Got one more question to run by you guys. And thanks for all your help first, from product reviews to the HD videos, its all greatly appreciated. We are considering a hand gun for the living room. I have two thoughts on this. 1 - great, would hate to have the situation arise where an intruder is between me and my gun. Having a 2nd gun helps eliminate this. 2 - What if the burglur enters unarmed, then finds my hand gun in the living room. I just armed my intruder. I have no kids, no kids visit, so I do not belive in keeping a gun thats not ready to use,, Thoughts?

I started a thread somewhere about replacing the Forend and Action Slide on a Mossberg 500 somewhere...
Mine is the same.
It's a pain.
You have to replace the "Action Slide Tube" with the correct size.
Then you can put aftermarket Fores on it.
You will also need a retention nut that may or may not be included.

I don't like the idea of hanging a light on my Forend.
I don't want anything interfering with or slowing down the pump.

RE The handgun.
Hide it well.
I would consider a Gunvault 500 (not the Biometric) with an easy combination

From reading around the web it sounds like the Moss 500 being sold at Big5, where I bought mine, is a cheaper model that has a "Maverick88" forarm. I'm not happy, I thought I bought a Mossberg 500, but it appears I have some gimmicky model.

Anyway, How do I know the right size tube? Will either work and size depends on the replacement forend I select?

This is starting to seem like more trouble then its worth.

dwally said:
Will either work and size depends on the replacement forend I select?

You got it....and the Knoxx forend likely wont fit....mine had a flaw in the mold, could modify it to fit but I like the factory one better anyway.

I just got off the phone with a Walter at ATIgunstocks, amazing customer service there. He told me the 12 and 20 ga magazine tubes are different diameter and even with a tube assembly the forend won't fit on the 20 ga. I also spoke with someone at surefire and got the same news.

I need to find a forend specifically designed for the 20, and buy a corresponding tube. Google is yielding little results for this, just found 1. Sigh, looks like I just need a rail system to put on the front of the mag, near the business end. If I can find one for the 20ga.

oops, yeah 20 ga....bummer. You know if you ran low recoil buck she could shoot a 12....

Thanks Lazy Eye, thats the ONE that came back in my search results. I'm considering it, but I would have to buy:

1 - That forend
2 - Tube assembly
3 - Rails to attach to it, just comes drilled
4 - Handle, since it doesnt look comfy, especially if you put a rail on the bottom.
5- Finally, my lights.

By the time I am done I could just buy a used 12 GA that already has a forend I like. :lol:

I think I have conceded to going with a tri-rail mount like the one I linked below, if I can find one to fit the 20ga. Long story short, do not recommend the 500c if someone wants to add to it. They simply do not make many after market parts for it.

http://www.amazon.com/LaserLyte-ADPTRIR ... B002LEZHFQ

Do you think it would fit the 20? I could just wrap some electrical tape around the mag to increase the diameter a bit and double as protection against scratching it up?

You know, CDM Gear makes a clamp with a spacer designed to fit a 20 ga. You can get it with a 3 slot rail ready to accept something like a TLR.

Or get an adapter and light to go on the rail. The TLR however is ready to mount. Its made by Streamlight.

Do you have a link to these items? Sorry, I don't know what TLR or what clamp your referring to.

Thanks for your patience with me.. I have been spending hours searching..lol

Hello , I posted the link in my post on the first page....thanks for reading....

Back