• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Failure to return to battery fixed

Levergunner

Copper BB
I've had my MC 1 SC for about 5 months now and from the beginning suffered with light primer strike misfires and failure to return to battery from 5 to 10% of the time, even after putting several hundred rounds through it. Otherwise I loved the gun's price, feel, and how it fit my hands. But, for a defensive weapon failure to fire as much as 10% of the time is a nonstarter. After trying many things including cleaning, more lube, less lube, some polishing here and there I concluded the problem was that the extractor spring was too stiff.
I disassembled my gun and removed the extractor and spring and cut 1/2 coil off the end, then flattened the coil but did not grind it flat as it had been. While removing a coil actually increases the spring rate, it also reduces preload which reduces the spring's initial resistance to compression.
I went to the range Friday and put 150 rounds through it without any failures. I included factory ammo of three different type and hand loaded defense rounds. Excellent! Now I have the gun I though I would have from the start.
FYI, I sold my LCP that the MC1 replaced because it was a picky eater and would jam on most JHP rounds, even after a total rebuild by Ruger.

Back