• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

OK Convince me...

Well said Sir.

When shooting for precision at distance, it can take me well over an hour to run through a ten round mag in my bolt guns...

I blocked a couple of my AR mags to only hold 10 rounds because the hunting laws in my state have a 10 round per mag limit, so those are the mags I use to hunt with. I also have 10 round mags for my AK and SKS.

But realistically, I won't shoot 10 rounds while hunting per trip anyway, but I know precisely how you feel about 10 round mags. I feel the same exact way and don't want to be handicapped just because I am a law abiding citizen.

Lawmakers are stupid.

yeah, but still 5 more rounds than 98% of all bolt guns out there. You wont feel the pain like on a semi, you'll be taking your time anyway and I bet mag changes are fast.
All the pistol work you have been putting in is really going to come out on that rifle. I'll go through waves of mostly handgun shooting because its the toughest for me and it always sharpens up my rifle shooting, and long guns come natural to me, always room for improvement though

That is interesting and something I didn't think about regarding pistol shooting. I am curious to see how that does translate into precision rifle shooting since all I have been doing is working on trigger control the past 8 months.

I haven't shouldered a long gun since my neck injury in January. So pistol shooting has literally been all I've been doing since it doesn't bother me.

Good call.

Trigger control is key, but there will be multiple factors at play.

In my experience, take it for what it's worth and that might not be much, ammo selection is the most important factor for precision. One can be well practiced in technique, yet load up a round that the rifle doesn't like and patterns can go from low MOA to high WTF.

There are also physical factors such as barrel resonance and thermodynamics that will play a huge role in consistent shot placement. The barrel heats heats up, but not always evenly. Temperature fluctuation throughout the barrel can change its resonance and produce inconsistencies in shot placement. Learning how your barrel behaves as it heats/cools and adapting a consistent shot cadence will help overcome this issue.

That's all before you get into worrying about your breathing and environmental factors, wind, temp, humidity, etc. Not many of these factors are under our control, so learning to work with the varables and adapt can lead to some really tiny groups on paper. Once you get all this figured out and documented in a shot log, something changes and you get to figure it out all over again. My rifles and mother nature have a way of reminding me that I don't know $#!+. Shooting for precision is both one of the most rewarding and most frustrating endeavors I've undertaken...

Trigger control is key, but there will be multiple factors at play.

In my experience, take it for what it's worth and that might not be much, ammo selection is the most important factor for precision. One can be well practiced in technique, yet load up a round that the rifle doesn't like and patterns can go from low MOA to high WTF.

There are also physical factors such as barrel resonance and thermodynamics that will play a huge role in consistent shot placement. The barrel heats heats up, but not always evenly. Temperature fluctuation throughout the barrel can change its resonance and produce inconsistencies in shot placement. Learning how your barrel behaves as it heats/cools and adapting a consistent shot cadence will help overcome this issue.

That's all before you get into worrying about your breathing and environmental factors, wind, temp, humidity, etc. Not many of these factors are under our control, so learning to work with the varables and adapt can lead to some really tiny groups on paper. Once you get all this figured out and documented in a shot log, something changes and you get to figure it out all over again. My rifles and mother nature have a way of reminding me that I don't know $#!+. Shooting for precision is both one of the most rewarding and most frustrating endeavors I've undertaken...

Another well written response. There's always an interesting learning curve when I decide to explore another level to firearms.

Probably in a year or so I'll be reloading my own ammo. And thus another learning curve to humble me.

I totally agree les.

All through my days, I have strived for perfection and spent a lot of time learning the basics and money on ammo, guns and accy's that would help me achieve that. Or at least to be the best I can be; because I know in my heart that I will never truly achieve perfection.

While I can generally "hit" what I'm aiming at, I have learned that while making bug hole groups is still a desire of mine and often how I judge myself, but a hit is still a hit and these days I am generally pleased with decent or acceptable placement.

I hope anyone doesn't get me wrong. Striving to be the best is not wrong, is not a waste of time or money, and will often make you a better shooter, but it is impossible to make every shot the same as the last. That is just something that I have had to learn to accept.

I often am much harder judging myself than others are, mostly because when it comes to most things (certainly shooting is one of those), I am a perfectionist and sometimes it's a hard pill to swallow, but don't get too hung up on it. As I said before, a decent hit is a good hit and in the real world (not talking shooting at paper here) is all that is realistically necessary.

But as you said water monkey, good shooting techniques will cross over to other platforms.

And I suppose on the other hand, so will bad and thus the reason for practice because there is no substitute for time behind the trigger shooting.

And why seeking perfection and being fair with yourself will help you achieve that. Just don't beat yourself up if you pull a shot or something like that. Just realizing what you did wrong is the hardest part of the battle (to me).

I wish I had all the bullets back that I have messed up through my life and I knew as soon as I pulled the trigger was not going where I wanted even before having to look.

I wish I had all the bullets back that I have messed up through my life and I knew as soon as I pulled the trigger was not going where I wanted even before having to look.

Wow that about sums up my venture into handgun shooting. Probably the hardest time adjusting to all the variables, trigger control, reset, breathing, steady hand, and most of all achieving some level of confidence while increasing tempo, adding in draw, moving, using a light, barriers....

With each failure... is a lesson. I wish I learned my lesson the first time instead of 5,000 rounds later.

judging unknown distance, wind and slope are always a challenge. But trigger pull ......if that isn't good then figuring out the rest is almost impossible because it all starts there, just a tick off at the muzzle it is 3 feet off at 500 yards, that tick is usually a bad trigger press

planets rolled into alignment. Had a very rough May which turned into me traveling for work extensively = mileage reimbursement. Plus, I received a mid year bonus (first ever) from busting my hump since November on new clients. 2 weeks I should have a MVP ready to rock.

I picked her up from my FFL yesterday. I'm in DC for a conference right now so I'll take a day off next week to sight her in and give her a proper pic intro.

I honestly don't remember (been over 30 years). Whatever the standard KD course used. Looked pretty small from 200-300yds tho.

Back