• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Old Navy Photos

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
These are some things from my dad's tour in the Navy during the last year of WW-II.

He was wounded serving on the Columbus, and send home from the pacific fleet on the hospital ship Henderson.

The Columbus could carry and launch a Seahawk float plane from a crane on the "fantail".

CA47-w_seahawk.jpg
CA74 Columbus-Monaco.jpg

CA74-1945.jpg

Columbus.jpg

Navy Day on the Hudson river 1945:

0407407.jpg

The Henderson was a WW-I troop transport and converted hospital ship.
Henderson_(AP1)._Transport.jpg

A brochure from visitor's day on the Columbus:
navyday.jpg

Dad at 17 years old:
001 - Copy.jpg

You can see where I get my good looks. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics! Building a model of USS Baltimore and trying to convert to Korean era, which was Father-in-law's ship #73 (USS Saint Paul). Trick is getting the two cranes to a single with no aircraft launcher. His watch ended 10 years ago so wanted to do this for the wife. If I could find some logs, that'd be icing on the cake.

My Dad enlisted in 1943 at the age of 17. Pacific Theatre (20 and 40mm gunner): would climax during the Kamikaze attacks during Okinawa. He contracted malaria and took the long ride back to Pearl and 6 months hospitalization. He was sick on a hospital ship when the first atomic bomb was dropped. Quite a Generation. My Dad passed in 2012 at 88 years old.

Thanks for sharing your stories gentlemen.

Back