• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Old Ruger with Chips from Manufacturing

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I have received a few new guns now which I found to have metal chips from the factory, inside various parts of guns.

My new Savage 22LR had some metal chips packed in with the bolt.

My Mossberg 464 had some in the action.

I found chips inside the Ruger 10-22.

But every one of those guns I purchased brand new and this latest gun is 39 years old.

This is from my 1981 Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum. I believe it has had a chip inside it since it was manufactured, and it has never been detected.
20191101_181953.jpg

This stupid thing was making the cylinder lock really stiff. It wasn't just a dirty action as I originally surmised, and I assembled and disassembled and reassembled the gun in order to find this. It took a little doing to pry it out with a pick as it was firmly pressed into the hole.

Here's a picture of the actual chip taken at high magnification. It is about 0.080" in the largest dimension.
20191101_181230.jpg
The chip was found in the bottom of a detent well for the spring locking the cylinder.
20191101_181608.jpg
Inside the gun it is something like this:

20191101_183053.jpg
The chip was at the very bottom of that well which is drilled right into the trigger guard.

This extra metal was causing the detent plunger to ride crooked on the cylinder lock, causing erratic lock action.

I knew the gun was filthy inside (although the outside was nearly pristine) but I got it for just $260 plus fees of $40.
:D

40 rounds of ammo was included and I fired one test shot at the range.

20191030_132007.jpg

But the action was definitely balky and the old guy who had it was fed up with the gun, and sold it cheap.

I didn't think it was too damaged and I was correct. Except for that chip, which was throwing off the detent action, and one tiny missing alignment pin in the custom grips, the only real problem was lots of residue inside the gun. If you zoom in you can see the dirt and rust are specially on the pawl.

20191030_151138.jpg

This is the first wheel gun I have ever disassembled completely so it took me a little while to get it apart and back together but most of my time was spent polishing the bits and greasing them.

It also got a few coats of permablue on the wear marks, and plenty of hand buffing.

You cannot easily remove the plunger on the hammer, or the firing pin from the frame, without Extreme Measures so I did not bother. The firing pin appears to be retained by a blind Cross Pin.

I also did not remove the mainspring from its carrier.

After I corrected that little problem with the lock spring assy, and lubed and reassembled everything, it was like a different gun.

I won't get to shoot this until Monday though, so we'll find out then how good a job I really did on the internals, and how well the sights are aligned. I wouldn't be surprised if they were way off.

Last edited:
I don't know what that was. I don't know that I would call it a chip. Looks more like a big chunk of something to me. Something hollow/tubular.

But glad you got it all took care of. Good job on that !! And very nice looking gun too btw. I love a nice big fat caliber bullet.

When I saw it in the hole I thought it was just a drill shaving which had not been removed. This thing is tiny but more of a fragment than a chip or shaving. It's tubular, and steel and quite thin. Almost cetainly part of a broken plunger. If it was cleaned up it would have a running fit in the hole.

Here's my current theory:

This bit of the gun requires very careful assembly, because three springs are not fully captured until you get it just right.

I think it was cleaned, then assembled tight with the plunger cocked, and it broke over the edge of the well. Of course the cylinder lock would malfunction.

When the gun was disassembled again, the spring and remainder of the plunger fell out and were lost. A new spring and plunger was installed without cleaning that well, and the bit of broken plunger remained in the gun.

Oh Phooie!

Look carefully at my photo of the disassembled revolver and you will see one of the plungers is ragged at the tail. This is the bit of that broken plunger.

The installed bit was evidently still long enough to operate the lock OK.

I will be ordering a new one from Ruger. It would be item 7 in this diagram.

r-nmblackhawk.jpg

Very good and glad you figured it out. You'll have a very nice 44 when you get done with it.

I know this is totally off topic but I wanted to share it with you anyway. Many years ago after my wifes' stepdad died, my Mother-In-Law was cleaning out some stuff in the basement. She was going to drag out an old dresser or chest out of the basement and get rid of it. When she was scooting it, she heard some clanging in one of the drawers.

She opened it to find a partial single action 22 rough rider. At one point, it looks like he had tried to "fix it" but wasn't very successful at it, several of the parts were lost. So, she asked me to "fix it".

So, I found the parts, fixed it and put it all back together again.

She kept it about 2 months, sold it to my wifes' Dad. He kept it until he died and then my wife has inherited it. So, it's been passed around a few times.

The grips are marked inside with a steer head logo and the word Altamont.

They also say made in USA

I see they are $52 a pair online. Those are the Super Rosewood grips.
The gun seems easy to shoot with them, but I've only tested it one time.

Back