• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Old Westernfield sigle rail / Coversion to dual charging rails

Mosster

Copper BB
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and I have a question:

Can the old single charging rail mossy 500's and the earlier Westernfield 550's be converted to the more reliable dual pump rail systems?

If so what does it take?

The reason I ask is that I am still lamenting passing on a mint Westerfield single rail for $120.

Let me know.

Best regards,

Mosster

Welcome. I've never converted one but only read about people trying it.

If you can get the gun in hand and rack back the gun, look inside the receiver and see if it is machined on both sides for the arm to ride in.

If it is I can't see why you can't use a dual arm set up.

One other thing I saw was you might need to drill the receiver front for the second arm.

cut out not.jpg
cut out not.jpg cut out.jpg

A brand new Mossy 500 receiver runs $35 plus FFL. If you switch the receiver, you'll need a two bar slide tube to match your forearm length, a new mag tube to match the slide tube, and a new two bar bolt carrier. Is it the same gun then? Basically what I'm saying is if you buy the old Westernfield with plans to convert it, you're really only buying it for a few parts, right? I'd not be afraid to buy the old one bar, myself. They worked pretty gosh darned good.

I'd not be afraid to buy the old one bar, myself. They worked pretty gosh darned good.

I have a stephens model 79 pump 12 with only 1 bar. Never had a problem with it at all.

Mossy, is that single bar Mossberg you have pictured still running? Looks like all it needs is a good refinishing. Looks like a good project gun!

That single bar Mossberg belonged to an old member here that I haven't heard from in awhile. He was using it for a project gun.

Back