• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Olympic Arms announces closing

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I just got an email from Olympic Arms. I have known a lot of the guys that work there on a personal level for many years. And some of you may also know that I have been a moderator at OA2.org, since about 2002 and when I had my FFL's, I was also a stocking dealer.

But I just wanted to pass the information on to you folks. I know there are several members here who also own their products too.

-----------------------------------

http://www.olyarms.com/

After more than 40 years of business, it is with great sorrow that we announce that February 28th, 2017 will be the last day of operation for Olympic Arms, Inc.
The Schuetz family would like to express their heartfelt thanks to all their friends, associates, and partners that have been a part of the Olympic Arms experience. Most of all we would like to thank our loyal customers and patrons who have been with us all this time.
In the course of closing, we are announcing the following changes in policy effective immediately:
  1. All sales are final.
  2. No refunds or returns will be accepted after 1-25-2017.
  3. On-line Shopping Cart will be active and effective while supplies last.
  4. All Warranty service ceases 1-25-2017. Warranty work and repairs currently in-house will be serviced and returned.
  5. New orders will only be taken for inventory currently in stock, or that can be built from remaining inventory.
  6. All inventory will be liquidated.
  7. ALL SALES will cease at close of business 28 February, 2017
Thank you for your patronage.

Hmmmm. Interesting, and a little bit sad.

I wonder if some remaining inventory will be offered at a very attractive price.

I don't know. It's very possible though. That only gives a little more than a month to clear out all inventory.

I am really bummed about it though.

Well shit, I just got some parts from them yesterday. I wondered why the packaging seemed so amateur. That's disappointing. They had become my go-to for mil spec parts.

I called my buddy Tom and spoke with him for a while. He's been the general sales manager for many years and he said they just found out about it this morning and was still trying to wrap his head around it.

I asked him your question nitesite and he said they were going to have to do a physical hands on inventory of parts, and he said, as always, any complete rifle sales would take precedence, but they were wanting to move it all.

dieselmudder, they make most of the major assemblies in house. And is probably one of the reasons why they were having such a hard time in sales the last year or so with so many imported parts coming in from overseas, they just couldn't make them and remain competitive with those companies who are selling parts and guns using imported parts. I could probably go into it in more detail, but would probably be better if I just don't.

Since OA was an original mil-spec supplier of M16 rifles this comes as hard news. Great company for what, half a century?

I called my buddy Tom and spoke with him for a while. He's been the general sales manager for many years and he said they just found out about it this morning and was still trying to wrap his head around it.

I asked him your question nitesite and he said they were going to have to do a physical hands on inventory of parts, and he said, as always, any complete rifle sales would take precedence, but they were wanting to move it all.

dieselmudder, they make most of the major assemblies in house. And is probably one of the reasons why they were having such a hard time in sales the last year or so with so many imported parts coming in from overseas, they just couldn't make them and remain competitive with those companies who are selling parts and guns using imported parts. I could probably go into it in more detail, but would probably be better if I just don't.
Yeah, that's why I turned to them, on your advice. It's sad that American made can't hold out.... guess we didn't get The Don in quite soon enough. We should write him about it. Maybe he would offer them a buyout like the previous did for the auto makers.

Bummer. Did you get any scoop on why it's closing?

@nitesite

Mr. Bob Shuetz started Shuetzen Gun Works making gun barrels and such in the 1950's while he lived in Colorado I believe. In the late 1970's, he started making AR15's under the brand name SGW (Shuetzen Gun Works) and at some point he moved to Washington State and changed the name to Olympic Arms and that is my limited knowledge of the very early beginnings. I do know that he ran the company until he retired when he turned over the reigns to his children. His son Brian was on the manufacturing side, and his Daughter (I apologize, I don't know her name) worked in the book keeping and clerical side.

During the mid to late 1980's, Olympic made a lot of advancements that many today take entirely for granted that brought the AR15 to the modern era.

They were the first to start making flat top upper receivers and offering them to the public. The early prototypes were nothing more than a shaved A1 or possibly A2 carryhandle with a weaver rail bolted to them. But that advancement really helped the accuracy of the AR15 allowing optics to be added much lower to the bore of the gun. Eventually, the spec was standardized and changed to the 1913 pic rail that we are accustomed to today.

DSCN5465.jpg

Not long thereafter, they patented the FIRSH forend in order to remove outside induced stress to the barrel, which could mess with accuracy.

FIRSH stood for Freefloat Integrated Rail System Handguard. Which we all now know them as railed freefloat forends. I still have one of their earlier models FIRSH on my 22LR suppressed AR upper, as you can see on the left below.

nfastampcollection010-2.jpg

While not the first to make a pistol caliber carbine, they have had several firsts in that field. Specifically with larger calibers such as .40/10mm, and 45acp variants.

They were also the first to release a piston upper. Called the OA93. It has been seen in many movies such as Spawn, Batman, Punisher and many others.

While in pistol form, they didn't really catch on at the time, because no one was interested in a piston upper.

793px-Spawn-OA93-2.jpg

A lot more about some of their guns that have been used in movies here and I bet each of you will likely be able to readily recognize many of the scenes that are shown: http://www.oa2.org/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13213

In carbine form, it also had a FOLDING stock because the piston system also housed the op spring, much like a Remington 7400, which is what allowed the stock to fold.

1276901_02_olympic_arms_oa_93_carbine_223_640.jpg

It may be a safe bet they were among the first, if not THE first to have an AR15 pistol too. There was a lot of flak accusing Olympic of making the first 7.62x39 handgun, which caused Chinese imports to be banned because they were steel core, and after Oly made the prototype, all hell broke loose about the ban, even though there were other companies who were actually PRODUCING handguns in those calibers and Oly had simply made a few to test and hadn't actually released any, but that debacle will forever be part of internet lore now.

There was also some work done for the Simunition patent in the AR, but my memory isn't as sharp as it used to be. I don't remember the details, but I'm pretty sure that Oly held the patent or got it to work or ????

They also have a patent for a pneumatic buffer instead of the buffer spring.

So while many people may not be directly aware of the background and things that Olympic Arms has done for the industry and the platform as a whole, I believe that it will be hard to ignore the fact that Olympic has kept "America's Rifle" as one of the most technologically advanced weapon systems of this age and will easily recognize some of what they have done for us AR15 enthusiasts.

Yes, I was sad to hear the news. That is perhaps a pretty big under statement.

I will miss them...I own two of their fine AR's...

Better do inventory to see what parts I may want to score before the doors close...

MY BABY: ( 17 years old )

IRSUWsJ.jpg

MY WIFE'S: ( 10 years old )

ptVBcqN.jpg

Reminds me. I better get a forged carry handle upper ordered tonight, if they still have stock. For a future build. They were one of only two I've found offering them.

Bummer. I do not have any of their firearms but they have gained my respect over the years.

Some rumors floating around they are attempting to sell the business rather than close.

Quote: Globemaster:
someone on another forum board received this email in regards to their recent order from Olympic Arms; as they ordered up a few small parts (springs and clips) for their 9mm pistol caliber AR15.

Note from Olympic Arms: Your order is very important to us, and we are grateful for your patronage. We wanted to take a moment to clarify our situation. Your order is being processes in the order that it was received. Due to the pending closure of Olympic Arms, Inc. under its current ownership on February 28, 2017, and the fluid nature of any acquisition by a new ownership group, we cannot guarantee that this order will be filled. To be clear, your credit card is not being billed at this time. The credit card system will verify your billing information and "pre-authorize" the purchase. This will put a temporary hold on your funds. In 2-3 days this temporary hold will go away. If your order CAN be filled, we will happily do so, and manually bill your card at that time. In other words, your funds will not be secured until we ship your order. Due to the ever changing inventory levels, and the number of orders already in the queue, we cannot give ANY estimates as to when or IF your order will ship. This is regrettable and we apologize for what we consider poor customer service, but under the circumstances of our closing and possible reacquisition, we really have no other choice and hope you respond with patient understanding. NO DELIVERY ESTIMATES WILL BE GIVEN. If you see the actual charge show up on your bank statement, youll know the product is on its way. Should the situation change so that your order can be filled at a later date under new ownership, you will be contacted and given every opportunity to move forward with your order. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you in these times of transition.

Tomorrow was supposed to be their last day.

I received this email from them this evening.

"Olympic Arms Inc, management would like to thank all of our customers for your years of patronage. During our transition period we have inventory available for sale. Please continue to use our web site and our 800 number (800-228-3471) to contact our offices and place your order. Nothing will be charged to your credit card until it is shipped.

We have complete upper receivers, various complete weapons, parts including magazines of all types available. Although we have a smaller staff on site, our intentions is to fill all orders as quickly as possible.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you in this time of transition. "

Hmmmm, scare tactic to boost sales? I got notification last week that my upper receiver, sight assembly shipped. Looking forward to having it.

No, that's the last thing they would do.

If anything, that would be the opposite to what they've ever done.

When panics' have struck, they're usually the first to shut down individual parts sales so they can concentrate on complete gun sales rather than sell every little part they have in inventory to panic buyers.

It would be interesting to see if they get bought by new investors...

Just got an email from Tom Spithaler, the sales manager at Olympic.

Olympic Arms Status Update: 31 July 2017

Optimistic About the Future

Olympia, Washington - Thank you all for your years of patronage, and for continuing your interest with Olympic Arms. As time moves forward, we'd like to update our customers and followers with the latest information regarding the changes here at Olympic Arms.

First of all, we'd like to apologize for any confusion that currently may exist. Circumstances since our original announcement made January 2017 have changed, and remain fluid. During this period of change, we'd like to assure you that Olympic Arms remains open and active, and that you may continue to purchase with confidence.

Current market trends are forcing a restructuring of operations and an inevitable downsizing. However, at this time our full intent is to continue uninterrupted operations and pursue a variety of options that allow us to move forward continuing our innovation in the AR15 industry, and the possible expansion into other arenas within the industry. No paths are off-limits to our consideration.
You may have heard or understood that Olympic Arms is in the process of entertaining offers for the sale or restructuring of the company. This too is accurate. Some offers being considered include the complete transfer of ownership of Olympic Arms, while others may include a reorganization and moving forward with the same or similar management. At this time, we are not certain which outcome will prevail, so we continue to move forward with the utmost optimism.

It is probable that whatever solution is found, Olympic Arms will relocate within the next calendar year. This relocation will likely be a local move, but if the company is sold as entire entity, this decision will be made at that time, and every effort will be pursued to offer continued service to our entire customer base.

Thank you again for all your kind words, emails and phone calls of support during this challenging time. We will do our best to keep you posted as things progress.
---------------------------------------
About Olympic Arms
Olympic Arms was founded by the Schultz Family in 1976 and has lead the industry in AR15 innovation and development for more than 40 years, and may perhaps be best known for their development of the flat-top upper receiver, pistol caliber and other alternative caliber offerings such as the WSSM series and the .22-250.

Back