• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

opinion are like belly buttons...

Some interesting reading you posted here! I am reading through them now.

Thanks

DHonovich said:
Some interesting reading you posted here! I am reading through them now.

Thanks

Same here, good finds, and I love practicallity and simplicity!

I do however see a place for the shotgun with slugs and at distance...

I read those The High Road threads and it's what brought me to the criteria to purchase my 590A1 that I'll pick up on Tuesday or Wednesday. They are good reads and I'll check out the other threads too. Thanks

I read all the articles and was pleased to discover most of my thinking about accessorizing a defensive shotgun is in line with what was said. I was interested to read the part about a 1" expansion for every yard of distance out the barrel and pix of this in survivaltopics. I'll also say that I have a side-saddle (came on the gun) and have added a tactical light. I also am getting a single point sling for easy carry, and that's going to be it - it now weighs 7 lbs 15 oz with 5 in the tube and 5 in the saddle - and that's enough. Appreciate your putting together the articles. Very helpful.

I make no beans about being somewhat a minimalist on equipment--basic gun, elastic cuff with 3 rounds in it, upgraded ammo, and fibreoptic front sight. Someday I might get an attached light. So most of these posts are rather minimalist, too.

But what sites push all the gadgets other than the ones who are selling the gadgets? Not many, at least not ones that are HD as opposed to police, military, shtf, etc.

Anyway, here`s another read along the same lines http://thinkinggunfighter.blogspot.com/

Ripsnortr said:
Wish I had read these before I posted my thread asking about this stuff. :oops:
Hey bud, no need to be embarrassed. Like the thread said opinions. Get what makes you happy. You can go overboard on anything. I think its funny how some people just render a shotgun useless unless it is box stock with a Hogue stock and a light…and if you’re real adventurous a glow in the dark bead. It’s the flavor of the day, yes effective, yes when you keep things simple they usually have less go wrong. As far as not being able to blast someone coming through the door because you have a painted gun, a laser and an adjustable stock is ridicules in My Opinion. I have a ,brace yourself, knoxx stock and a micro reflex….I effin dare someone to step in my door. The earth used to be flat and if you said different they just killed you that’s how sure they were

Well with any luck on my side I will be spending some quality time with the new gun and making at the very least both me AND my girlfriend (might as well be married, same house, bills and bank account) know the ins and outs of using it over the weekend.

I'll work on patterns, choices on brand of loads etc after I get the initial burn in out of the way. ;)

Yes, that’s something everyone should agree on. What ever you choose or don’t choose and end up with by proficient with it. If you have something that you just cant be proficient with then its time to step back and reevaluate……. we have a saying the wildfire business “order what you need, deal with what you get”

There's some good info in there.
Some are actually kind of humorous.
Some of them contradict each other, and some contradict themselves, and some of them make big assumptions.
Some of them are just flat wrong.
They are opinions, and opinions vary. This is why a good trainer will say "This is a way, not the way." These are examples of why and also why that idea should be in the mind of the reader even when the writer isn't actually saying it. Maybe especially because the writer isn't saying it.
Don't get me wrong, there are some very good points in there. You just need to figure out where they are and what is dogma. See what fits your needs, pull that out, and use it.
I've got no problem with simplicity, and I think that if you are building a defensive gun you absolutely should not have something on there for cosmetic or psychological purposes. If an item does not add or increase a capability it should not be on there. If it does so but at a significant cost, it should not be there. At the same time, minimalism simply for minimalism's sake can be counterproductive. Some people take it to a religious level and in effect want to pillory anybody who doesn't worship at that altar.
On the other hand are the people that get what they describe as an HD gun and put 6 feet of rails on a shotgun and then get every possible thing to hang off of it on there. Then they post a "Critique my build" thread and get butt-hurt when they are told why their stuff isn't well-suited for a defensive gun. Asking about it beforehand is one thing, justifying it after the fact is something else. To clarify, Rip you did it right. Plan it out, ask for input, try it out, then decide what you actually want and need on there.
What's really entertaining is seeing people like that show up for a class. You don't want to be "That Guy."

Ripsnortr said:
Wish I had read these before I posted my thread asking about this stuff. :oops:

No worries! ;) Oli and M24 both are right on! Uhh, I have stuff on my 590A1 too... I dressed her up pretty and I like her! My Persauder is wearing a red dot on a receiver mounted rail sighted for slugs and will be gettin paint.

The 590A1 with the railed forend and AFG with Hogue short LOP is perfectly capable. I took my time and made it the way I wanted over some time and have practiced my loads of choice each step of the way! AND! I had a good time doin it!!!

Rossignol said:
[The 590A1 with the railed forend and AFG with Hogue short LOP is perfectly capable.
More than capable my friend.....that is a beautiful all business weapon. I bet it would defend your home, withstand the rigors of combat and shoot a turkey for dinner.....but thats just my belly button talkin' ;)

Too much gun?

I think that the military model is more than the average Joe needs for HD, BUT I wouldn`t get all misty for having one! Name brand quality guns are better than money in the bank. If there is still money left over for a good light and some training, go for it.

Back