• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ordered the 590, but think I should have bought the 590A1

The 590A1 is noticeably heavier than the 590. The long LOP doesn't help either. A 590 with a shorter stock is noticeably more maneuverable and less fatiguing to move around with.

I have the Brownells safety, but not sure if I have it right. It looks to work both ways. It feels best the way the pic shows.

IMG_4436 (1).jpg

OP you absolutely did NOT make a mistake. I personally think you made the right choice.

The heavy wall barrel on the 590A1 makes no sense unless you live on a warship or get out of armored personnel carriers all the time. That's what it was designed for. It also increases shooting fatigue because of that weight you have to hold up and trust me, it's quite a bit of difference over a normal barrel.

As to the plastic parts? Many people will tell you the triggerguard is actually better in plastic. This is due to it being able to take a hit and flex back, even if it cracks. The metal guard can bend and deform causing the trigger to be pinned in place. Also the plastic one is just plenty strong and perfectly acceptable.

Now I have heard of a couple people breaking the plastic safety levers. I MIGHT buy a metal lever just to be on the safe side but again this is rare. In short, the only thing the 590A1 has going for it is a parkerized finish but even then with proper maintenance the blued and matte blued 590 will be totally fine.

So glad I sold my 20" 9-shot 590A1. Too heavy, the balance and handling were not good. Again I think you made the right choice and this is all just my personal opinion.

My M590a1 fits me like a glove...the LOP is perfect...the Ghost Ring sights are the best thing since sliced bread...and it is NOT heavy because I work out enough to heft it without becoming winded.

Enjoy what you have...because it will serve you well...Hell...it's a Mossberg !!

My 2 cents...and my 590a1 :

My M590a1 fits me like a glove...the LOP is perfect...the Ghost Ring sights are the best thing since sliced bread...and it is NOT heavy because I work out enough to heft it without becoming winded.

Enjoy what you have...because it will serve you well...Hell...it's a Mossberg !!

How do you like your ghost ring sights? Any issues with tunnel vision while firing at different targets? I picked up an A1 with the XS ghost rings, but was on the fence about whether or not to get the regular ghost rings.

Also, where did get the adapter kit for the bayonet mount?

Fred245:

Love the Ghost Ring Sights...really don't know how I aimed a shotgun down range without them. ( seriously )

No adapter is required for the bayonet on a M590A1...it's plug and play. ( the lug is already there...bayo slips right on )

I am thrilled with the look and feel of this shotgun. Thanks to all of the folks who recommended the safety upgrade (it's awesome!). Can't wait to try it out on some clay targets. Much shorter than my Savage Fox.

Scatter.png

Nice Nice Nice there SHOOTER13. You have a great pump gun there, one of the best for fighting.

I agree with you about the Ghost Ring Sights. Marvelous design.

I am thrilled with the look and feel of this shotgun. Thanks to all of the folks who recommended the safety upgrade (it's awesome!). Can't wait to try it out on some clay targets. Much shorter than my Savage Fox.

View attachment 14382

That Savage Fox is just fantastic. You ought to feel a lot of pride to have that SxS.

How do you like the 18.5" 590 compared to the 20" 590A1?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if this question was directed to me or the other poster who went from the 20" 590A1 to the 18.5" 590. That said I much prefer the 18.5" 590. It is very noticeably lighter and easier to swing, not to mention less expensive. Like the other guy said, unless you're slamming it into metal hatches and bulkheads the extra weight of the A1 is unnecessary.

I'm not sure if this question was directed to me or the other poster who went from the 20" 590A1 to the 18.5" 590. That said I much prefer the 18.5" 590. It is very noticeably lighter and easier to swing, not to mention less expensive. Like the other guy said, unless you're slamming it into metal hatches and bulkheads the extra weight of the A1 is unnecessary.
Sorry! Yes I was directing the question to you and well anyone willing to share preference. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If I had Gobs of money, I would buy one like this just for the coolness factor. Very nice!

Thanks Iagent...I got a heat shield on it now too. Just haven't had time to take an updated pic yet.

I bought a Mossberg 590A1 last year. I got the 18.5" barrel. Also added a mag extension for 7 + 1. The LOP was uncomfortable for me. Always seemed just a bit long, so I installed a Magpul stock allowing me to reduce the LOP to 13.5". It's a much better fit for me. I also replaced the OEM safety switch with a Promag safety (not shown here). Now I can actually take it off safe with the shotgun shouldered whereas before it was impossible for me to do.

I bought a Mossberg 590A1 last year. I got the 18.5" barrel. Also added a mag extension for 7 + 1. The LOP was uncomfortable for me. Always seemed just a bit long, so I installed a Magpul stock allowing me to reduce the LOP to 13.5". It's a much better fit for me. I also replaced the OEM safety switch with a Promag safety (not shown here). Now I can actually take it off safe with the shotgun shouldered whereas before it was impossible for me to do.

Looks good, is that the hogue forend? I'm starting to feel like the magpul forend is a little chunky.

Back