• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Oregon man kills elk, elk impales man

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Maybe putting that much weight on the rear rack was not such a good idea. I prefer to use a tow rope

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...f/2016/11/oregon_man_kills_elk_elk_impal.html

21475221-mmmain.jpg

Heeter's elk and ATV (Courtesy of the Crook County Sheriff's Office)
Email
By Lizzy Acker | The Oregonian/OregonLive
Follow on Twitter
on November 07, 2016 at 11:32 AM, updated November 07, 2016 at 10:37 PM

A Bend man was impaled in the back by the antlers of an elk he had just shot on Saturday, according to Crook County Sheriff's Office.

Gary Heeter, 69, was hunting in "a very remote location" in the Maury Mountains where he killed an elk. Around noon. as he was dragging the carcass of the animal behind his four-wheeler up a steep hill, the vehicle flipped and he flew back and landed on his dead prey.

Members of the hunting party applied first aid to Heeter to stanch the flow of blood.

"When the deputy arrived at the crash scene," said the sheriff's office, "he found Heeter was conscious and communicative, but appeared to be going into shock."

Heeter was flown to St. Charles Hospital in Bend by a Life Flight helicopter, but not before it had difficulty finding a suitable landing location "due to the rough terrain, which consisted of intermittent forest cover and rocky clearings."

According to KATU, the Crook County Sheriff's Office reports that Heeter is in stable condition.

lol, you must have got a new quad , the last one I saw you riding wouldn't drag a dead bull elk......let alone in mountain, racks are about the only choice
One I saw a worse wreck when a "towed" elk rolled over the trail lip and took the quad and rider with it, a Polaris 700 twin lol.....these things way more than a quarter horse

lol, you must have got a new quad , the last one I saw you riding wouldn't drag a dead bull elk......let alone in mountain, racks are about the only choice
One I saw a worse wreck when a "towed" elk rolled over the trail lip and took the quad and rider with it, a Polaris 700 twin lol.....these things way more than a quarter horse
No, mine would not pull an elk. Maybe on flat ground with a slight decline. LOL

I have been looking at a older model Honda Foreman, that one might do it.

I meant weigh ......but I guess they are way big lol.........hey I'm one of those stereotype uneducated white men that voted , text book, they been describing me on Fox news all night

I meant weigh ......but I guess they are way big lol.........hey I'm one of those stereotype uneducated white men that voted , text book, they been describing me on Fox news all night

Hey I fit that description as well!! Judging by last nights result I think there are a lot more "Deplorables" like myself out there than she thought. In looking closer at the picture I think the guy was riding a Honda.

I was just thinking traction in low gear but with that much weight any quad would have a hard time pulling it. My ATV only weights around 250# and the ones I've looked at only weigh in the 500-600# range Even quartered out and placed on both racks it would be a difficult to impossible to haul in one shot.

Someday I may be able to hunt an elk, been applying here for many years. I may have to go out of state to pull it off before I die.

dude needed some ballast !

at least its a Honda, flip it over and push the button

Someday I may be able to hunt an elk, been applying here for many years. I may have to go out of state to pull it off before I die.
I know a place.....free room too

Back