• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

+P .45 auto?

In as much as I'm able. Tension seems fine. No trouble extracting and ejecting. To this point it's solely been an issue with feeding. Jacketed hollow points hang up in the magazine.

I ordered a box of Corbon Powrball. I think it's 165 gr +P. Turns out, a whole lot of 45 auto is +P. Most newer defensive ammo is.

Dicks sporting goods says they have the Hornady. They haven't in the past but I'll check again.

So I guess to the point, I'm still learning new stuff. I never really looked that closely. Ball ammo is pretty basic and it doesn't get much simpler than grabbing a box of Winchester hollow points. Until reliable feeding becomes an issue. So when I began seeing +P in 45 ACP, I wasn't even sure I could use it. I mentioned what Kimber said, the reason they say is that it prematurely weakens springs and fatigues other parts. Whatever. The UC may need a tune up eventually.
The extractor is an important part of the feeding cycle of any 1911. Too tight or too loose can both be detrimental..

The extractor is an important part of the feeding cycle of any 1911. Too tight or too loose can both be detrimental..

THIS.

It's easy to watch some you-tube videos of checking for proper tuning, and then actually tuning a 1911 extractor if it needs it, and checking for burrs on the hook all of which can really "eff" up feeding. See, the case rim slips into and rises up vertically behind the hook. Almost every semi-auto pistol does the same thing. But pistols with "tunable" internal extractors need a little TLC on rare occasions. Your 1911 has an internal extractor that could have gotten out of spec. My two 1911s have internal versions and I absolutely love the design, so don't think I am maligning them.

So the only reason I bring it up at all is that it can be checked before doing any tuning or bending or polishing.

It involves removing the slide and using first an empty case to check for tension and hold, then using a loaded round in much the same way to see that the rising case rim slips behind and upwards, and isn't so tight or burred that it slows down the forward momentum of the slide.

Last edited:
I love you guys.

Will all this work for an external extractor as well?

If I search videos, what should I look for?

Thanks for all the help! Do we have a thread for tuning 1911s?

For what it's worth, JHPs hung in my .45, where ball noses did not.

I changed the stock mag to this fancy stainless one & it feeds OK now.
20160727_210816.jpg

20160726_171809.jpg

You can get any gun you want.

I would like to throw this one in the list of desirables. I love mine.

It's full size. It's all steel. It has a chrome barrel, 14+1 round capacity, adjustable sights, light rail, great machining.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/eaa-sar-k2-45acp.html

Nice gun. I looked at one when I bought the XDs-9.
It seems the price of EAA has dropped, maybe since they can't sell them in California anymore.

The price on California approved guns has gone up again I fear.

Last edited:
I tried removing the slide and putting a round into it and seeing how it interacts with the extractor. I don't know what I'm looking for. It seems fine. I honestly don't have any trouble with feeding or ejecting when using the KimPro Tac Mags.

The exception is the initial loading of hollow points. The factory magazine (standard style 1911 magazine but a 7 round for officer sized frame) hangs up even with ball ammo. It ejects and then will sometimes fail to feed or rather the next round fails to fully chamber before the slide returns. No trouble and all with the new magazines.

This video is of pretty poor quality, but it will give you an idea how to tell if your extractor is too tight or too loose. I suspect yours is too tight.

Once you have done it a few times, you will learn to recognize the "feel" of a good adjustment as you slide a case under the extractor.

Quick update with more to follow on function;

The extractor passed the jiggle test. Corbon Powrball ammo arrived too. Fully loaded magazine (7 rounds) fed smoothly without the typical "ka-chunk" and hang up. I'll fire it this evening.

Additionally, I'll likely split this thread and create a 1911 tuning thread with some of the info here.

You guys are awesome and are helping me learn constantly! Thank you!

I and my little cheer leader got back from the game and it was pouring down the rain. It let up to a working mans rain so I loaded the two KimPro tac mags with a mix of the Corbon and CCI Blazer aluminum case ball ammo with the Corbon Powrball being the first round in each magazine. Function was flawless all the way through each magazine. No hang ups no hiccups. The +P Corbon is a go for me. I'll get a couple more boxes when I'm able and practice some more and keep it loaded.

All 14 rounds,

Last edited:
Awesomeness, good grouping too!

Thank you sir! I'm still practicing and learning. I have to remind myself the order to do it in. I can go fast. And I can get close. But not like the target above. My first shot is always almost right on target then I still always get left and low.

damn dude hell of a nice weapon

Aww, thanks Oli! My wife and older daughter picked it out and it's my fave!

I thought the same thing... Doh!

If you continue having problems, give Kimber a call. They used to replace those external extractor slides with an internal one for anyone that had problems. I don't know if they still are.

I think the big problem with Kimber's external extractor was that it is so short. That whole episode in Kimber's history soured a lot of people on external extractors.

Most external extractors are much longer, like this Sig:

1911Trad-STMatchElite-Detail-R.jpg

No worries. Mine is an older model, about 10 years old. I had heard the same thing about them replacing the slide for one with an internal extractor.

For now I'm satisfied. Two magazines aren't enough to make a determination but it's progress I'm happy with.

Back