• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Paint your 590

fellmann

Esoteric
Supporter
Have anyone here considered paint his shotgun ?

Pros and cons with "normal" spray paint ? especially with a hot barrel :)

Is duracoat the only and best option ?

Thanks

Seen several guys here who like spray paint because it's cheap, easy and can be touched up at just about any time.

Duracoat is OK, but if longevity is what you're after, I like Norrells Moly Resin and gun kote a little better.

I also like to do water immersion camo dips. But that is a fairly involved process. Not hard, but time consuming and a lot of steps.

Before:
oqLBqb6.jpg

After:

ZZnbyqJ.jpg

EB2Sug1.jpg

4uKaC6V.jpg

Rattle can and sponge:--This was an attempt to closely match naturalgear camo pattern as I could.

rC7wX3X.jpg

pUXpFR2.jpg

And a water immersion camo dip of naturalgear that I was trying to mimick from above:

5TZN96v.jpg

I went through some old paint cans i have and found this.. Darker type matt sand/tan

dunkelgelb-1944_250.jpg

The label is on German and says it is "kunstharzlack" ( Resin Paint ). Can be ok as a ground layer ?
Manufacturers website says it is Synthetic Resin Paint and Petrol-resistant.
Remember i bought this when i refurbished an old German WW2 helmet, which i sadly dont have anymore :(

20190129_042210_800.jpg

Last edited:
When I was growing up, there were a few folks that painted their guns, but not many. And I've hunted for many years with no camo and I can't tell that I do any better than I did now than when I was hunting in blue jeans, a surplus field jacket and a plaid flannel shirt.

But I remember the first time that I saw a shotgun camo dipped in forest floor camo and I was amazed. I never could afford to buy that gun in the pawn shop back then but I haven't forgotten the impression that it left on me.

So, now that the stuff has become available to folks other than large industries, I learned how to do it and enjoy it. Though as I said, it is time consuming. It takes a day or two (depending on how quick everything dries and cures and how early a start you get) to do a gun.

Truth is, I've made pretty decent profit from camo'ing guns and other hunting gear like trail cameras and stuff. And the important thing is that I enjoy doing it.

JDVpHGN.jpg

EMdCq7k.jpg

GPUUFML.jpg

YVmtOWL.jpg

qKf5FwC.jpg

7m7vhfn.jpg

P4LxprH.jpg

IsdJ8ER.jpg

I went through some old paint cans i have and found this.. Darker type matt sand/tan

I can't be sure but it sounds like what we'd call an "epoxy" paint here and that is a good paint. Maybe try it on a spare part or pistol grip and see how it coats and dries.

The issue with painted/coated barrels is they can get hotter than the coating can stand from extended firing.

The issue with painted/coated barrels is they can get hotter than the coating can stand from extended firing.
What i was thinking, but not specifically asking :) , about standard spray paint, was what would happen. My fault :)
Will the paint just fall off, catch fire, start smoke, bubbles / blisters, turn black or a combo ?

John A is the king of colors :)

Nice job Djcala * thumbs up *

I doubt you'll get a pump shotgun hot enough to bother the paint.

If anything, the color will get darker where it is the hottest. Maybe black and blistering, but you're talking several hundred degrees for that, and I haven't ever heated up a shotgun barrel that much. I've had them pretty warm before to where you dont' really want to hold onto them, but never 200 or 300 degrees hot.

Will the paint just fall off, catch fire, start smoke, bubbles / blisters, turn black or a combo?

Like John said, I think the paint will scorch where the barrel gets the hottest. But this would be after many, many rounds. Depending on the paint, it will probably bubble/blister, turn black and smoke at that point. I don't think it will catch fire. Worst case scenario is you just "touch it up" with more paint once it cools...

Well years ago in a land far away, we spray bombed M4s, and ran em like we stole em on more than one occasion. It works fine, nicks dings scratches no,biggee, change of,enviroment new colors no problem. Short answer its done,everyday, prep is everything prep,right and all good.

Thanks for all replys :)
Theres a lot in my head right now .. maybe shorten the stock, make a cheek raiser, make a forward sling attachment point, get a red dot sight and finally, paint the shotgun.. lol

Back