• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Patriot Synthetic 338WM Threaded for a Brake

Mike338Win

Copper BB
I bought the Patriot Synthetic in 338 Win Mag with the 24" threaded barrel. I wanted a super light weight rifle for Elk and basically
it is all of that. I looked for something that had threads for a muzzle brake and this does except they are 11/16-24 and the barrel
is so thin that there is no real shoulder to a brake to seat against. After searching for a brake that would fit and not finding one anywhere,
I called a local gunsmith that makes custom breaks and will be taking the rifle up to him in a couple days to see what he can do with it.
I've shot the rifle off a bench and as expected, the recoil is pretty stiff using 230gr Hornady Precision Hunter ammo. I mounted a Leupold
compact Freedom 2-7x scope and basically this setup is pretty much what I was looking to have and if I can get a brake on it I think it
will fill the bill nicely. I asked Mossberg Tech support to point me towards a brake and they danced around the question and weren't
any help.
Just my 2 cents worth on my first Mossberg rifle.

Ive got the rifle at a custom rifle smith that I know in my area.
He's going to rethread the muzzle and build a brake for it.
Problem solved..... but, I measured the barrel just behind the threads and
I got 0.625...... Converted into a fraction that comes out to 5/8" not 11/16"
Leaves me thinking Mossberg doesn't know what thread they are putting on?

Turned out the thread pitch on my rifle is NOT 11/16-24 as Mossberg claims.

The thread pitch is 5/8-24 and I now have a brake installed that works good.

Attachments

• Randys Muzzle Brake  .....5-15-2020.JPG
    Randys Muzzle Brake .....5-15-2020.JPG
    660.7 KB · Views: 0
Back