• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Patriot vs MVP action...same thing???

Tim433

So simple question right? Do the Patriots and MVP's use the same action? As in, instead of buying a MVP LR, could I just buy a MVP bolt and a chassis system, slap the bolt into my Patriot action, drop it into the chassis, and have the same rifle? At quick glance, the receiver looks almost identical, the bolt is the same save the handle(more on the bolt shortly), and its in a chassis rather than a wood or plastic stock.

Now, for the big changes that I've seen, obviously the MVP uses standard AR mags, which is awesome. the other change is the bolt head has a bolt push tab on the 5.56 models and dual bolt push tabs on the 7.62 models.

so, could i just buy an MVP bolt and some AR-10 mags and a chassis and convert my Patriot to a Patriot LR?

The fact that both rifles carry a barrel nut tells me you need to properly headspace the combination of barrel and bolt with the barrel nut and a headspace gage.

With the exception of the bolt stop on the MVP, the two bolts are identical, and the bolt face/locking lugs could be exchanged for the different rim sizes.

With the cost of both/either, it seems like a lot of trouble.

Back