• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Patriot VS Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter (.308)

I will be picking up my first deer rifle this fall.

To give some back story, I have hunted in the past with my father in law's Savage Axis (.243). Last season I tried my cousin's Trophy Hunter. I am a short-ish guy, so I have found that the youth sized guns fit me better.

I was all set on the Savage (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sava...on-Rifle-and-Nikon-Scope-Packages/1338908.uts), but after purchasing my Maverick 88 and being very happy with Mossberg I have started to look at the Patriot.

Obviously the Patriot is priced a little lower, but I have been told that both rifles are about even. It will only be used once a twice a year in the field and a few times a year at the range.

Any input/opinions are appreciated.

Thank you!

I have a Savage model 11, and @stigmata has the axis in .308.

I'm happy with mine in .223. I looked at the same model you mention but no one had the Trophy Hunter in .223 at the time. Mine is the Hog Hunter and didn't come with a scope. I put a scope on it and shot 1.25 MOA the first time shooting 100 yards. Not only the first time shooting this rifle 100 yards, the first time I ever shot a scoped rifle 100 yards.

I have no experience with the patriot, but I do have Mossberg shotguns. Though when I started looking at rifles, Mossbergs weren't at the top. I went with Savage because of their reputation for accuracy and excellent customer service. Which Mossberg is not well known for.

I haven't even hunted with mine yet and I have had it over 2 years. I have however been to the range a few times with it and I love the accu-trigger. Only issue I've had with mine is the bundled scope it came with. Not the best but I had problems sighting in the scope. Other than that I am totally happy with it and never any issues. While I own many other long guns and hand guns this is my first Savage in a .308 and it has been great imo.

Sounds like perhaps the Savage might be the way to go. It would be nice to be able to shoot them side by side but most of the ranges around here only rent one or two rifles and are more focused on hand guns.

Oh yeah, the accutrigger, that's sweet too. I think mine is supposed to be set to 3.5 pounds. I haven't messed with it or checked to verify the pull but there's no creep. It's not at all soft or squishy. It's pressure, then it breaks.

Stigmata mentioned the scope on the axis, I don't know which one it is but the Trophy Hunter comes with a 3-9x40 Nikon which should be comparable to say their buck master scope.

I don't know your level of familiarity with rifles. I don't know your experience. I personally have had very little. This is only the second rifle I've owned and the other was an AR. That said, I'm grateful. If I were a serious shooter, Savages basic stock might irritate me. I'm totally happy with mine as it is and I don't see a whole lot to validate the majority of complaints I've seen. It's a cheap stock. Mine is ugly even. If it were black or just about anything other than the green that it is it would be better. It's not OD or foliage or ranger or smoke green. It is entirely its own category. Anyway, it's not as flimsy as is often said, but I'm not a precision shooter with a 20 MOA rail and a 5 or 600 yard zero. For 100 to 200 yards its totally fine. I'm shooting 1.25 MOA and I'm not shooting the rifle to its potential yet. I'm just using off the shelf factory American Eagle.

I have more in a thread somewhere with photos and Stigmata has his rifle pictured there too.

I will dig up a pic of my savage and put it here for your reference. And by the way yes Rossignol that accu-trigger is a sweet trigger pull. Love it.

Two2seven...You never know bro. Next time are at the range, check out the long range section to see if perhaps one of the shooters might have a savage on the bench.
I'm good at striking up a conversation with anyone and perhaps you mmay get some FREE trigger time just for the asking. A lot of ppl there are pretty easy going and once you show a little intrest in what they shoot may turn out to be a test run for u.

I know ppl have asked me a few times about what I was shooting and we got to talking and all was good. They squeezed off a few rounds and had a good time with the guns.
Good luck. And hope u get a chance to shoot one soon.

Back