• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

pelican or plano?

Pelican by far. In every part of their product line.

But you pay for it! Overbuilt and most of us never need that much in a case.

After I spent several evenings upholstering the inside of my Plano case to baby my precious rifles and expensive scopes, I realized that I should have bought that pelican.

I've never taken in my cars into the shop. My dad taught me, and I've been fixing my own car since I was a kid. One day I brought home a beautiful used Cadillac, and my dad (who was an economy nut and drove Honda) didn't understand.

I said, "Dad, if I'm going to work on them I might as well work on a Cadillac." I think that philosophy still applies to my gun case. For 80 bucks more I would have been much more satisfied that I'd made the investment of my labor.

That car had its foibles by the way, but they were far overshadowed by the cast iron V8 dinosaur under the hood; and by the upholstery which prompted my wife to say, "Gee we need better Furniture in the living room."

Pelican.

Plano is OK for transporting a shotgun or rifle to the range, but not for much more than that.

If budget isnt a factor then pelican. Not something everyone can manage though but plano vs pelican is no contest only similarities is they both make cases.

I've owned and continue to use several Plano gun cases and a crowsbow case. I have no complaints but they are what they are inexpensive injection molded plastic.

I have never owned a Pelican case, they have always been outside of the price range for the level of quality that I needed at the time. (I'm cheap when it comes to certain items what can I say. LOL) That said, I have never heard anything negative about their quality.

Thread moved to the correct sub forum...

BAGS, GEAR, AND LOAD OUTS

My two real complaints about the Plano case are these:

The latches do not stay sprung open once they are released. This means when you go to close the case there's always a latch stuck under the lid somewhere.

This sucker is heavy! It's very thick and strong but it is enormously heavy.

Back