• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Pic Request: 18.5" - 20"Vent Rib 930

Anyone have pics or a mock up of a 18.5 to 20 inch ventrib barrel for a 930? I'd much appreciate it for my hopefully soon modern trench gun project!

Are you looking to cut down a barrel? I don't have anything to show you but I would cut just forward of one of the rib supports (towards muzzle). First measure to see where your length would end up at. Might be a little longer than 20" but I don't know as I don't have a 930 field barrel to look at. Perhaps post a pic of your barrel next to a tape measure. The barrel technically starts at the bolt.

Welcome aboard, Guy! :)

I have always wondered if you could simply cut down the barrel of a semi auto, like you can a pump action, and not negatively impact the function of the action. Take care. Tom Worthington

I have always wondered if you could simply cut down the barrel of a semi auto, like you can a pump action, and not negatively impact the function of the action. Take care. Tom Worthington

From what I've gathered from this forum and elsewhere is there may be "tuning" involved or testing of ammo that works/doesn't work. With a longer barrel, the gas stays "in" longer affecting gas action. So say a light "plinking" load works with a 28" barrel--ie: no FTE or FTF--it may not work with an 18" barrel without some spring or port tuning.

This might be a little longer barrel than you're asking for to get an idea of what it would look like (I think this one is 24") but you did ask for a mockup.

3418730_01_jerry_miculek_mossberg_tactica_640.jpg

Most folks, if they're going to shorten a vent rib barrel, will cut the barrel just in front of one of the little reinforcing/anchor things.

And as has been mentioned, if you go too short, you may need to enlarge the gas ports, reduce some of the recoil spring tension or both for low powered shells.

Tom396 and myself both just bought semiauto shotguns with a 20 inch barrels that eats darn near everything. I've not found anything they won't eat, and I think he found a foreign brand that his doesn't like. And I shoot all low brass stuff almost exclusively.

I prefer a shorter barrel shotguns, in both hunting and defense. There is just no real purpose to have a 28 or 30 inch shotgun barrel these days.

Throw in some OR3GUN parts and you will have no issues with a shorter barrel.

I have a 18.5: barrel for my 930 but it's not a VR.

Back