• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Picatinney rail for Patriot Bantam

You have your elk well covered as far as im concerned others may disagree. I have done the according to some unspeakable with a .243. 3 years ago we had an elk hunt booked in new mexico. I had an accident 6 weeks prior to departure required a pretty intense and painful shoulder surgery. Give up my hunt after waiting a year oh hell no. I brought what i felt i could carry and shoot a ruger hawkeye compact .243 an elk gun nope not by a stretch. But closing the gap a bit more than usual and putting 100grn were it would count at 140 yards worked. Not a monster a decent 4x maybe 700 pounds went 50 yards and expired. Autopsy revealed two jellied lungs and a split heart.
20170522_230829.jpg
My lil .243 bull.

Last edited:
It is, after all, about shot placement. I've had to make some shots here between 300 and 400 yards to take elk and deer, thanks to clear cut logging. I won't take anyone afield with me until I know they can put a bullet into a 4 inch target at 300 yards. I'm too dang old to chase an elk or deer very far.

I was prompted to let you folks know about the sight rail from Evolution Gun Works. I ordered both the 20 MOA and 0 MOA rails, just because I may want to switch them out from time to time. Thanks to Amazon Prime, I got the rails quickly, like two or three days. I set her rifle up with the 0 MOA rail. Everything lined up perfectly, nice fit and finish, and once mounted and torqued down, solid as a rock. I used an older Vortex Viper HS 6-24X50 scope that I had laying around (okay, it was mounted on my Savage Model 10 FCP-SR, that way I could get a new scope for that rifle). Got the eye relief set up for her, made sure everything was level and properly aligned, then torqued down the scope, with a dab of blue Loc-Tite on every screw. We hit the range and fired a few rounds...okay, a couple hundred rounds. We had to get her zeroed, then run a ladder test to get a good load for her rifle and 90 grain bullets. Then she had to have some fun on the 300 yard steel targets. Didn't take long for her to get dialed in and was ringing the 4 inch targets repeatedly, until we ran out of ammo.

To be honest, I should have thought of EGW first. I have one of their rails on my Savage and it is great. I'll try to get some pics of her rifle up when I got home from work.

By the by, this new Mossberg Patriot is her favorite rifle. Loves the accuracy and working the bolt action. She still likes her AR's, but loves the bolt gun.

Back