• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

pictures that make you lol

Love calamari!!!

Me too! :yum: I was introduced to it when I was stationed in Athens Greece back in the '70s, during a squadron "Hail and Farewell".

A short time later I took my family to that restaurant. My wife was skittish about eating squid, so she ordered shrimp.

Imagine her horror when the shrimp came out with the heads and all still on! :laugh: I peeled one, just to show her how it's done. She was a bit pissed when I made her peel the rest.

The next time we went there, she got the calamari.

Old Mossy pic has the small tenticles in it
The stuff we had was little baby squid, deep fried. That's what they called calamari. I just thought the baby squid was calamari, and the bigger squid were cut up to bite size chunks and that was just called squid. Could be different areas call em something different. Whatever it is called, I ate it and wanted more.:nana:

I will eat calamari if it is quality and properly prepared. It’s not my favorite seafood.

It was the pork offal that I was not wanting to discuss further.

The stuff we had was little baby squid, deep fried. That's what they called calamari. I just thought the baby squid was calamari, and the bigger squid were cut up to bite size chunks and that was just called squid. Could be different areas call em something different. Whatever it is called, I ate it and wanted more.:nana:
There was a place here that made calamari almandine and it was very good. They were actually from large squid, cut into steaks and tenderized, then broiled with an almond butter and spices.

I have also had the little squid tentacles battered and fried. My wife had never eaten that before.

She had however eaten the calamari almandine, as large steaks.

Anyhow I took her out to the pier in Monterey California and she ordered the fried calamari while I ordered the clam chowder.

When they brought her a platter full of fried spiders she freaked out immediately and swore that she could not eat it. She ended up eating my chowder and I ate batter fried calamari.

I put it right up there with cicherones, port cracklings, and chitlins.

“Up”, of course, is a relative term.

As in, I could put that back UP on the shelf and leave it right there.

I like most Mexican food except for molle, Which is basically just sauce made from the burnt peppers you scrape off the grill.

This is a separate topic but they used to sell a food here locally called Duritos or Duretos.I cannot recall because DURRITOS it was. . . it has been 45 years since I went to the swap meet and bought them. Anyhow they were basically fake cicerones, which is fried pork skins with chili powder and lime powder.

But these were made from a mixture of corn flour and rice flour, I believe, and fried (probably in lard) Until they were the same consistency as a traditional non-crunchy Cheeto puff.

Only they were about four times as large, being roughly rectangular with ridges like they were shot out of a pasta maker and then deep fried. Also there was none of that fake cheese powder. It was just salt and chili powder and they could be had with or without lime.

Anyhow it has been many years since I have seen those on sale anywhere and I have only seen them on sale one place which is the Sunnyside swap meet in Fresno California.

I get these frozen in local supermarket, score them a little to keep them from curling, grill them, sprinkle with a little olive oil, and Italian cheese like Parmesan, pecorino/ romano . Yummy

890D9439-0569-42B1-A698-F7C1F2949A6D.jpeg

sk021421dAPR20210213124504.jpg

Back