• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Please critique my 590 home defense setup

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to set up a simple, reliable and lightweight pump shotgun I can use for home defense. I have an AR15 and a Glock 17 but want a shotgun for when I travel to jurisdictions where I can't bring them legally. Plus shotguns are just a lot of fun to shoot :cool:

I am getting ready to "pull the trigger" and I am pretty sure this is the setup I will go with:

1. Mossberg 590 (model #50778) - I owned a 20" 590A1 in the past and found it too heavy and long. I like Mossberg's ghost ring sights but they don't sell an 18.5" ghost ring shotgun without the heavy barrel so this is the model that seems to best fit my needs.

2. Magpul stock & forend with Inforce WML Gen 2.

3. HiViz fiber optic snap-on sight.

4. SOE shotgun card.

5. Promag enhanced safety.

I may add a Choate or S&J extension but not sure I want to pay $50-100 more just to fit one more shell in the tube.

After a lot of research I think this setup will fit my needs well but I figured it would be good to have input from people who are more experienced.

Sounds great. I prefer bead sights as well. unless you put on a comb raiser you're not going to have the proper cheek weld with the ghost ring sights.

I really like a good fiber optic front sight for a home defense shotgun that is equipped with a light like your's will be. Had a truglo fiber optic on my shotgun until I switched to a red dot. The fiber picks up the light from the flashlight well and glows very well.

No need for ghost sights in home defense distances IMO.

I really like a good fiber optic front sight for a home defense shotgun that is equipped with a light like your's will be. Had a truglo fiber optic on my shotgun until I switched to a red dot. The fiber picks up the light from the flashlight well and glows very well.

No need for ghost sights in home defense distances IMO.

Yeah that is why I figured I'd try the fiber optic instead of a tritium bead for now. It was cheap and had good reviews on Amazon.

Sounds like a good setup.

I dislike GRS's but that is just my personal preference. I don't even see the bead any more unless I am conciously aiming at something in the distance. I cannot get the cheek weld I am used to with sights that sit above the rib. Too many years of wing shooting and clays I guess.

Adding a mag extension adds a bit of weight to the front of the gun, changing its balance quite a bit if you are used to shooting without it. It took me some time to not hate them.

Whatever you have, make shooting it a priority. Having a functional gun is only half of it. Being proficient to the point of operating it without thinking is the other half.

Whatever you have, make shooting it a priority. Having a functional gun is only half of it. Being proficient to the point of operating it without thinking is the other half.

^^^ And that right there is the most important thing. Nothing else you put on it or take off of it is a surrogate for practice.

Is the setup you have necessary? Nope. Can you do with less? Yep. Can it be completely efficient and effective? Yep. And it helps if YOU like the setup. The GRS may be a bit much if you're used to wing shooting. If you practice at the distances you may be required to use it, you can be totally effective. More than adequate. But the key is practice.

Sounds like a good setup.

I dislike GRS's but that is just my personal preference. I don't even see the bead any more unless I am conciously aiming at something in the distance. I cannot get the cheek weld I am used to with sights that sit above the rib. Too many years of wing shooting and clays I guess.

Adding a mag extension adds a bit of weight to the front of the gun, changing its balance quite a bit if you are used to shooting without it. It took me some time to not hate them.

Try adding an XRail. Took me forever to get used to the way it swings. Another thing you can do if you think the gun becomes to front heavy with an extension, is add weight to the back to balance it out. I added 1 1/2 lbs of lead shot to my stock when I added the XRail.

Try adding an XRail. Took me forever to get used to the way it swings. Another thing you can do if you think the gun becomes to front heavy with an extension, is add weight to the back to balance it out. I added 1 1/2 lbs of lead shot to my stock when I added the XRail.

Wow, that's a lot of firepower hahaha. Wouldn't want to lug that thing around on foot though.

Comp rig will be different than HD rig.

That's not my HD rig, it's my holy crap there is a mob of people attacking rig. 22+1 rounds she holds. I keep her loaded all the way up with Hornady Critical Defense 00 buck.

My handgun is my HD rig. This and my AR are my fight to weapons, not my fighting weapons. AR has a 60 round MagPul drum in it. If I have to get to them, shit just got real.

I wouldn't want to use a 15lb shotgun or 10lb AR15 for home defense either. 23 rounds of 00buck and 61rds of 5.56? Lol ok bud.

So you accept that the 12ga or 5.56 are better defense weapons but you still choose a handgun as a primary for home defense. Makes sense.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat, and ordered the 590 18.5 but I'm wondering if I did good not just getting thee rugged A1. It's just for home defense, but it needs to be reliable. I guess light is good, but I am not a fan of plastic and the trigger group is said to be plastic. Maybe if I really like this shotgun, I will buy an A1 at a later date.

How is the xrail ?
Seen them when they first came out a while back but the one i saw was on a Benelli and liked the look but not the price of the gun.
Since I didn't own one I passes for now but know they work on other semi auto configurations.
Been thinking about it on a 930?
Still love the look. And would be a good addition for something I don't have yet.

My 500 Mossberg has the plastic trigger group and appears to be a pretty tough design.

Personally I don't like plastic gun parts, but these things work.

How is the xrail ?
Seen them when they first came out a while back but the one i saw was on a Benelli and liked the look but not the price of the gun.
Since I didn't own one I passes for now but know they work on other semi auto configurations.
Been thinking about it on a 930?
Still love the look. And would be a good addition for something I don't have yet.

I love the XRail. Runs without a hitch, and not having to reload when shooting 3gun is a huge plus. Very few stages are more than 23 rounds. And I have 23+1 with the match saver. Getting ready to buy the 2 round extension for the main tube so I'll get 25+1. Don't put one on a Benelli. They are inertia driven, and adding too much weight throws the system off. I've seen a few guys with them and they seem to have issues, or have to run really high fps ammo. Like 1350+.

gas guns seem to be the sweet spot for the Xrail. 930's, Versamax's, etc. If you do get a 930 JM Pro, get the 24" barrel version. The extra 2" of barrel helps the the gas system function smoother and better. That and you'll want the longer barrel so you don't have to stick your hand out in front of the muzzle to turn the XRail while loading. That's an automatic DQ in 3gun if they see you do it.

Awesome thanks for the tip.
Was looking at getting the 930 but haven't yet. The only reason I wanted a semi automatic SG was to put the xrail or some sort of drum. Is yours on the 930 I presume.
Just got done building 2 ar's so I'll need something else to do.
Was gonna build a bullpup from the 870 i bought, but once I got it, i put some magpul furniture on it and like it too much ....so there went that. now I was looking for another SG build to do. And the xrail was something I have been wanting to do eventually.
Where did u get the xrail. Locally or Web?

Back