• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Please critique my 590 home defense setup

Awesome thanks for the tip.
Was looking at getting the 930 but haven't yet. The only reason I wanted a semi automatic SG was to put the xrail or some sort of drum. Is yours on the 930 I presume.
Just got done building 2 ar's so I'll need something else to do.
Was gonna build a bullpup from the 870 i bought, but once I got it, i put some magpul furniture on it and like it too much ....so there went that. now I was looking for another SG build to do. And the xrail was something I have been wanting to do eventually.
Where did u get the xrail. Locally or Web?

Yes. My shotgun is a 24" 930 JM Pro. Highly modified too. I have almost all of the OR3GUN, and Southern Kentucky Tactical parts in mine.

My current setup is a 1911, but I am now adding the Mossberg 590 with an 18.5 barrel to the mix. I just want to cover all the gaps. I have zero tolerance for possible scum attacking my family! So sad that it comes to this in our great country!

I'm in the same boat, and ordered the 590 18.5 but I'm wondering if I did good not just getting thee rugged A1. It's just for home defense, but it needs to be reliable. I guess light is good, but I am not a fan of plastic and the trigger group is said to be plastic. Maybe if I really like this shotgun, I will buy an A1 at a later date.

I prefer the standard 590. If you won't be slamming it in hatches and into metal bulkheads the heavier barrel just adds a lot of unnecessary weight. My Glock and AR15 have plastic trigger guards and it's never been an issue, but you could always swap it for a metal trigger guard.

IMO the only read advantage of the A1 is the metal safety button, but you can get a replacement metal button on Amazon for like $15.

I prefer the standard 590. If you won't be slamming it in hatches and into metal bulkheads the heavier barrel just adds a lot of unnecessary weight. My Glock and AR15 have plastic trigger guards and it's never been an issue, but you could always swap it for a metal trigger guard.

IMO the only read advantage of the A1 is the metal safety button, but you can get a replacement metal button on Amazon for like $15.
Thanks for the input. I was thinking about that safety, and will probably get a metal one. My Sig 938 has a plastic trigger, so I bought a metal one, and never installed it as the plastic one is just fine. Just my old school plastic cynicism lol.

I like bead sights on a shotgun. Just don't need the extra bafoonery to snag on things.

I agree. I wanted ghost ring sights since that's what I had on my 590A1. But after using the bead on a friend's 500 I prefer it for the tasks that shotguns excel at.

I agree. I wanted ghost ring sights since that's what I had on my 590A1. But after using the bead on a friend's 500 I prefer it for the tasks that shotguns excel at.
Bought my first 12 gauge about a year ago. I never had much experience with shotguns. Just an old Revelation 350a 20 gauge that I bought about 50 years ago. I always wondered "how are you supposed to aim this dang thing without a rear sight", lol.

So when I saw a 590A1 with GRS, I figured that's the ticket. The GSR seem to work just fine for me. I can see where they would be needed for slugs at longer range.

My now primary shotgun has 3 dot fiber optics. Just use it for shot, no slugs at all.

Back