• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

PLEASE Keep an eye out on Factory AMMO!!

Saltmarsh

.270 WIN
Good Morning, it has been awhile since I've posted here. There is something I want to share with you all. We all hear about ammo malfunctions, and sometimes see the aftermath of such malfunctions. I want to bring this to everyones attention, Please be carefull out there.

Yesterday 5 Nov 2011, Jenn and I were teaching a F.I.R.S.T. Steps class at Otter Creek Range. We were teaching the range portion of the class, Jenn had a student shooting Winchester White Box 130gr, .38spl. The student shot 2 rounds in a S&W 14-3 revolver, the 3rd shot was a squib. Jenn immediately stopped the student took the revolver, and tried to open the cylinder.

She had heard the squib, and knew what it was. The cylinder was difficult to open. Once opened the round was seen in the forcing cone, just touching the lands, and groovers of the barrel. Had she not caught this, it would have been a bad day.

We went over all the ammunition malfunctions in class, most of the students heard the squib, then they were able to see an actual malfunction. I am sure that they will never forget that sound, and it was a learning expierence for sure.

Here are some pictures,
2011-11-06074709.jpg

Forcing cone area once the round was cleared.
2011-11-06075853.jpg

Excellent thread idea, Saltmarsh. Glad neither the shootoer, bystanders, your wife, or the nice Smiff&Western were harmed. Yep, the class definitely had the opportunity to learn a valuable lesson!

BTW - güt pics! Ja!

+1 rep point!

Winchester has always been a solid performing round for us. I have only seen one other squib, it was a handload. I understand that all mass produced goods can have defects, this is not a slam against Winchester, but to make folks aware to always pay attention to your ammo.

Good posting, thanks! Its easy to get complacent and not think of these things. Unfortunately, it sometimes takes an accident to make the lesson stick.

Thanks for posting this!

Yeah, Winchester pistol ammo is top notch. I wouldn't hold them accountable for a single squib load cuz statistically it is going to happen every 100-million rounds or so over a two year timeframe.

I carry Winchester ammo in my pistol every day with complete confidence. I wasn't issued it, I paid for it with my own money.....

Yes sir. Winchester is good ammo, I just cringe that I was double tapping my revolver in an NRA Instructor Class 2 weeks ago. I wonder about the speed and reaction of the doubles, if I would have been able to stop that, it was the same ammo.

It would be also a good idea to inform Winchester of this malfunction with the ammo box lot number and manufacturing date, so they may track any other findings with this lot.

Glad no one was hurt and you caught it quick.

Saltmarsh said:
Danke mien herr, mein deutsch ist nicht so gut. It's been about 20 years.

Ein wenig Übung hier und da nie jemand verletzt. Prost!

I had a two shells ftf on me from Federal. I am sending them an email explaining the situation. Ruined the turkey hunt on me. darn.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:26 pm
It would be also a good idea to inform Winchester of this malfunction with the ammo box lot number and manufacturing date, so they may track any other findings with this lot.

Glad no one was hurt and you caught it quick

Thank you guys, we have the pictures of the firearm, projectile, casing, and box lot number going to Winchester.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:41 pm
Saltmarsh wrote:
Danke mien herr, mein deutsch ist nicht so gut. It's been about 20 years.

Ein wenig Übung hier und da nie jemand verletzt. Prost!

Had to cheat with the look up, yes practice is good.

Thanks for the heads up and pictures Saltmarsh...!!

Wenn auch die squib war gefährlich und es wurde auch ein gutes beispiel für die studenten. Danke für posting !!

:twisted:

(Even though the squib was potentially dangerous, it also became a good example for the students.

Thanks for posting !!)

Back