• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

"Porch shooter" found guilty

I'm not sure what to say. While I'm sure he was in some amount of fear, she was outside, had no weapon visible and I didn't read where there was any verbal threat from her, just pounding on the door. On the other side she should not have been there. I think manslaughter would be been more appropriate than murder.

A couple of things that are of importance. This happened in Detroit where there is essentially no "911 service". Officers response is measured in hours not minutes. Our former PD chief is now up there and suggested everyone arm themselves against the thugs. There have been repeated stories of families brutalized by the criminals there. So this guy had the right to be afraid and defend himself. But...

She never entered the house. She was shot through a door. They speak of a screen door. What about the main door? Did he open it first or shoot her thru it as well? If she was outside he really had no legal right to shoot as he was in no immediate danger. If she had come thru the door then this would be a different story. Each state has different laws regarding the defense of one's home so this case may have been different if it happened in FL or TX.

I do understand that in some regards the citizens of Detroit are living in a warzone...murder rates are high and violent attacks are an everyday occurrence. They have the right to defend themselves especially in light of the fact that thee is almost zero police presence in most of the city. It is a dangerous slope they live on. The news repeatedly shows citizens warding off thus with a myriad of weapons...most are hailed as heroes. This fellow wound up on the other side with his decision to shoot someone outside his home. Unfortunate all the way around.

Calling 911 in the D is a crap shoot, it could take minutes or you may never get an officer at your door. Ultimately he could have sat there with the gun pointed at the door and unleashed hells fury if she broke through but he decided to shoot through the door and that was his mistake.

I wasn't there, I don't know how scared he really was so I wont judge him on that. It's always easier to sit back removed from the situation and hypothesize about what we would or would not do in a situation but unless we are there we really don't know.

The court found him guilty so either he acted prematurely or he did not adequately articulate the danger he felt he was in.

Back