• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ported choke tubes

JimN

.22LR
The latest Mossberg catalog shows 4 ported choke tubes of different lengths. Will a ported barrel have an advantage over the ported choke tube, such as returning back to target or how loud it is?

I can honestly say I notice no difference in recoil or muzzle rise when shooting either a ported barrel or choke tube. Ported choke tubes are supposed to help with the pattern but I can't say that I have noticed a discernible difference in that either when testing turkey chokes over the years.

I do notice a lot more noise, esp when shooting from an enclosed blind.

Both but probably a little more so with a ported barrel, it depends on the length of the barrel, the shorter the barrel the closer the porting is to you when you are shooting it.

That's what I need to know. I'm going to get a extended ported choke to use in my 20' and 28' barrels. I wasn't concerned about noise for me, but someone next to me at the range. If I think it's too loud, I can always unscrew it, no damage to barrels. Thanks for the help.

Back