• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Possible new project gun

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
I'm stopping tonight to check out a used 500a. The asking price is $120 due to a cracked stock. If the receiver is mechanically sound and I can weasle a little on the price I'm thinking a new DIY HD project is in my future :twisted: :D

I've also got a line on an older 835 but I won't be able to connect with the seller for a couple weeks on that one.

If you are wanting to do a project, that is a way to go.

You know that the 835 has a shorter action slide tube than the 500 but i835 will handle 3-1/2 shells like the 535. The 835 is easily extendable on the magazine and anything that bolts on to the receiver using the ejector screw, like a side saddle has to be longer due to the slightly longer receiver.

Good luck, keep it safe and have fun.

Good to know on the 835. I have zero exp with that model. I just have a friend of a friend kind of thing that wants to sell an old one. I know it's pretty well used. I'll know more when I can sync up and see it. My goal with that one will be to make it a turkey hunting machine. And possibly waterfowl. I've been out of duck/goose hunting for many years but I still hear it calling me in the distance LOL

I want to do it all darn it!!! LOL

If I get the 500 I'll post up some pics here or start another thread documenting my project.

You can read all about it at Mossberg.com Standard barrel is a 28 inch vented rib ported barrel with a 10 gauge over bored barrel, preventing you from shooting slugs but there are plenty of other barrels for it too.

120 is a great price, but make sure you shoot it to gaurantee the stock is the only thing messed up.

If it looks like the stock is mangled, you may want to make sure the buttstock bolt where it threads into the receiver isn't cross-threaded or stripped or what-not.

Even if it is stripped, you can always drill/tap it a little larger and use a slightly larger bolt. ;)

But it's good to know these things ahead of time.

From the picture I saw it looks like a crack from the receiver back. I've had these on most of my older guns and was able to glue them up without any problems. It didn't look like it was abused or had been wobbling around.

Most of my guns have been bought used. I'll be sure to check it out good, pictures don't lie, but they don't often thell the whole truth.

Simple cracks in wooden stocks are common and you're right. A little super glue on them puts them back in action quick.

The reason I recommended it be checked good before buying is in case someone fell on the stock/receiver causing the crack. I had a friend in high school that seemed to pile drive himself every time he stepped on wet leaves while hunting.

Aluminum receivers bend a lot easier than steel receivers. That's the only reason I mentioned it.

You could probably tell if the receiver is mess up by just cycling the action to see if it binds.

John A. said:
Aluminum receivers bend a lot easier than steel receivers. That's the only reason I mentioned it.

Point taken. I often forget about the aluminum construction.

Well the 500 fell through. It didn't pass inspection.

Butt......I made another stop at the local gun shop and found something else to work on. I found a bargain bin 835. The stock was chipped, the forearm is cracked and the gun has been poorly painted but mechanically was good.

Now, what to do? what to do? ....

Back