• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Primitive style knife that I’d like to show.

Yes, although I’ve read the original Damascus blend has never duplicated. I’m not sure if that’s true.
Yeah, I think you are right. "Damascus" in the modern use is applied to material that has "wavy" patterns in attempt to duplicate the ancient material.

Damascus is created by using a technique to weld or forge layers of steel together and then hammer them out and fold them over. Each time you fold you double the number of layers. 2,4,8,16,32 etc.

Some knife makers etch designs into the metal to create a look like Damascus.

Damascus is created by using a technique to weld or forge layers of steel together and then hammer them out and fold them over. Each time you fold you double the number of layers. 2,4,8,16,32 etc.

Some knife makers etch designs into the metal to create a look like Damascus.

Yep...Damascus steel is made by pattern welding, which is just repeated hammer welding, which is the most ancient technique of welding.

They say they can no longer find the ancient ore that was used in the original steel, but we can make do without it.

Modern pattern welding can be done with many different varieties of high-quality steel, commonly available at your local hardware store as saws and springs etc.

AND...the layers multiply fast!

so if you can fold it 10 times you have a knife with over 1000 layers! But that is if you only start with one layer.

Some guys start with a dozen and more.

Alex Steele on YouTube does some very involved pattern welding. Tiny jewelry up to big swords and everything between.

I'm a big fan of Forged in Fire! :) Learned everything I know about knife-making from the show. ;) Netflix currently has the 2019? season available for viewing...

Last time I looked, years ago, Dixie Gun Works had some Damascus steel blades. Not sure of the price or quality, but ya never know.

Last edited:
I have one inexpensive pattern welded folder from Boker, called the Magnum. You’d think it was huge, but it’s under 4” closed.

It was nice enough to keep me from spending thousands on a real custom one, at the time . . .

I'm a big fan of Forged in Fire! :) Learned everything I know about knife-making from the show. ;) Netflix currently has the 2019? season available for viewing...

Me too Bobster. The knives that make it through are very well tested. The judges know how to abuse an edge.

Back