• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Problem on new patriot

Justin870

Copper BB
Screenshot_2018-01-05-13-45-48.png 20171230_103219-1.jpg 20171229_135514-1.jpg 20171230_104902-1.jpg 20171230_105004-1.jpg I just bought a mossberg patriot around three days ago brand new fresh out of the box. It's a 30-06 marinecote it's a very nice rifle and I love it. I was playing with the bolt and noticed something the bolt head seemed like it had alot of wear for it being brand new. Long story short I emailed mossberg before Christmas explaining the issue and sent them pictures of my receipt and the box as well as the area I was talking about and today they emailed back. I haven't fired the rifle I have filled the magazine up with 30-06 shells to see if the bolt will close and if the extractor is doing its job. Everything seems to be in working order Monday I'm going to a Smith to check headspacing if headspacing is ok I'm really not sure where I should go from there. Live with it or send the rifle back that I just got.

Last edited:
I understand how you feel. It’s not normal and I would be annoyed too.

That said, I’d thoroughly check the barrel and if it all checks out, I’d fire it and keep it.

To be honest with you, it’s probably been handled in the gun store. My bolt is wearing similar and only has 120 rounds down range. So I would say it’s just been on a self and someone and cycled it a bunch of times.

I'm not sure, the place i buy my firearms from zip tie there bolt handles. if it all checks out Ill probably just keep it I know mossberg fired it before it left the factory.Its just one of those things that if I caused the wear from cycling the bolt or shooting it that's fine. but on a brand new rifle out of the box that I paid full price for I expect it to be new.

When i went and bought my patriot, the bolt was wrapped in bubble wrap in a smaller "compartment" in the box. Wear like that makes we think the bolt has been used a fairly good amount. my bolt has been cycled at least 300 times and doesn't show that much wear. If that were my rifle, I would first go back to wherever I bought it from as see if anything could be done on their end. if not, then I personally would send it to Mossberg. I just like knowing that I'm getting a 100% new product when I"m paying for one.

Thank you for posting this I am looking to buy one in .308 and this is now something I will look for when I do. thank you.

I actually got the same issue. Purchased new and never got to check out the bolt as it was wrapped separate. Finally when my scope and rings arrived i got a chance to set everything up and put the bolt in and noticed it. Such a bummer for me as this is my own first rifle. I emailed them and waiting for a response as Sportsman Warehouse where i got the rifle is not helping or even want to take a look

Attachments

• IMG_1111.JPG
    IMG_1111.JPG
    342.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1112.JPG
    IMG_1112.JPG
    429 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1126.JPG
    IMG_1126.JPG
    316 KB · Views: 17
Ya know if it wasn't really a problem, I'd let Mossberg know about it and just keep it. If it was a problem, I'd have them fix it. Reason being before long even if it wasn't that way to start, It will be after while. Had to go look at my 243 as it' got maybe 500 rds through it. Getting the same way.

View attachment 17566 View attachment 17567 View attachment 17568 View attachment 17569 View attachment 17570 I just bought a mossberg patriot around three days ago brand new fresh out of the box. It's a 30-06 marinecote it's a very nice rifle and I love it. I was playing with the bolt and noticed something the bolt head seemed like it had alot of wear for it being brand new. Long story short I emailed mossberg before Christmas explaining the issue and sent them pictures of my receipt and the box as well as the area I was talking about and today they emailed back. I haven't fired the rifle I have filled the magazine up with 30-06 shells to see if the bolt will close and if the extractor is doing its job. Everything seems to be in working order Monday I'm going to a Smith to check headspacing if headspacing is ok I'm really not sure where I should go from there. Live with it or send the rifle back that I just got.
View attachment 17566 View attachment 17567 View attachment 17568 View attachment 17569 View attachment 17570 I just bought a mossberg patriot around three days ago brand new fresh out of the box. It's a 30-06 marinecote it's a very nice rifle and I love it. I was playing with the bolt and noticed something the bolt head seemed like it had alot of wear for it being brand new. Long story short I emailed mossberg before Christmas explaining the issue and sent them pictures of my receipt and the box as well as the area I was talking about and today they emailed back. I haven't fired the rifle I have filled the magazine up with 30-06 shells to see if the bolt will close and if the extractor is doing its job. Everything seems to be in working order Monday I'm going to a Smith to check headspacing if headspacing is ok I'm really not sure where I should go from there. Live with it or send the rifle back that I just got.
I got a new 3006 to my bolt was perfect but every once in a while I'll have trouble racking one but other than that I love it

Back