• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Pros and Cons on Home Defense Gun

BrianJ

.270 WIN
I am just looking to compare two 20 ga shotguns for HD and occasional fun shooting. The Mossberg SA-20 (semi auto) 20 inch cyl bore and a Mossberg 500 20 ga (pump) with 18.5 cylinder bore or 22 inch barrel with chokes. The length of the barrels is not a big issue to me as it only varies from 18.5 to 20 to 22. The chokes will help when practicing with the gun on trap & skeet range. dependability is a concern.
I know a lot of you will recommend the 12 ga w/00 but I would rather stay in the 20 ga.

Any help, pros and cons, appreciated.
what add-ons are also helpful down the road.

While semi auto's can be very reliable/dependable, I prefer a pump because I can manually cycle it much harder if necessary than a fixed shotgun shell.

I know many who will say that semi's are just as reliable, and in many cases they are also correct, but I like a pump better for that role.

Semi auto's can get more rounds off in a slightly shorter amount of time, and stay on target a little better due to not having to pump the gun (which moves it around a lot), but that can be worked through with relative ease once you are intimately familiar with it.

The only opinion that counts is yours (your money after all). Many gun shops will allow you to test fire guns, much like car dealers allow a test drive. I suggest you do so. :)

GunnyGene

I have fired both and both can do the job. the problem is I have also had some FTF with a semi. only used a pump once but I understand they are less prone to hang as they are less complicated.
The semi is nice and steady though as John A. mentioned.
Great advice. Thanks
BrianJ

I always felt pump for HD for the reliability aspect. No gas system, simple cycling. Not that the semi-autos are unreliable by any stretch but I feel like Murphy's law when it counts.

Preparation is really key with either. I doubt a home invader will like having either of them fired at him.

Shoot what you are comfortable with. Getting rounds on target is more inportant than the size of the round. A 20G is more than adequate for HD.

Whichever gun you decide upon, practice with it until every action becomes natural and you no longer have to think about it.

I would take a .22lr over a much bigger gun that I could not shoot as well.

Back