• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Pt 709 slim

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
Just wanted to give quick review of taurus pt709 slim. My girlfriend purchased one at gunshow about 6 weeks ago. We took to range and fired 200 problem free rounds of winchester white box 115 fmj and 20 rounds of hornady American gunner 115 Hp's. It has good sights for a small pocket pistol and handles well. She and i both enjoyed it. Plenty accurate for its purpose. We have made several trips to range now and have about 500 rounds down range all good. So good in fact ive bought myself one and its replaced my 380 for pocket carry. I like the idea of the larger caliber 9mm. I did add a pierce grip/mag extension very good add on. I carry it in a desantis nemesis pocket holster. Very nice set up and didnt break the bank. Found pistol new at LGs for 179.99 she paid 199.00 for hers at gunshow. Happy shooting.

I really enjoyed mine. The 709 Slim has one of the most amazing short reset triggers of any striker pistol. 100% reliable.

Thank you for the review.

I was thinking of ordering a DeSantis pocket holster for my XDS. The price is certainly right.

Is that outside material embossed, or is it actually thick woven poly strands over a foam core?

I have some high-tech elbow pads made from some Hi-Tech Miracle plastic material & from the DeSantis photographs the construction looks 100% similar . . . the trim, the stitching, the material . . .hmmmm.

If so, that's some pretty light but tough stuff. I've crashed on them a couple times. It wears like iron because it's slippery. The plastic almost feels self-lubricating when clean and new.

I really enjoyed mine. The 709 Slim has one of the most amazing short reset triggers of any striker pistol. 100% reliable.

Thank you for the review.

I played with one and I should have bought it. Totally unavailable in California now.

The 709 Slim has fully adjustable sights, too~

I wore mine on my vest for years until a uniform change made wearing it that way impossible.

I was thinking of ordering a DeSantis pocket holster for my XDS. The price is certainly right.

Is that outside material embossed, or is it actually thick woven poly strands over a foam core?

I have some high-tech elbow pads made from some Hi-Tech Miracle plastic material & from the DeSantis photographs the construction looks 100% similar . . . the trim, the stitching, the material . . .hmmmm.

If so, that's some pretty light but tough stuff. I've crashed on them a couple times. It wears like iron because it's slippery. The plastic almost feels self-lubricating when clean and new.
I can tell you the nemisis is best pocket holster i have. Not a materiel expert but inside feels somewhat like a ballistic nylon and outside has a very stout rubberized feel. The outside is just tacky enough that it keeps holster in pocket when you draw. As for xds my friend happens to carry his xds in one also.

Update time. Well over 1200 rnds down the pipe still just doing as it should. Very happy with this purchase. Weve really become friends now. Easy summer carry in my cargo shorts front pocket. Just finished some range time this cheap lil gun shoots better than i can see with my old eye.20170515_135515.jpg 20170515_142031.jpgI typically shoot this 7 to 10 yards. But ddecide to air it out a lil bit. Heres 8 yds middle. 12yds bottom left. And just for fun 20 yds upper left. Federal 115 fmj
I actually carry the Winchester 147grn Defend ammo in it daily but had some 115s cheap to do a lil tgt practice.

Today at range more practical compared to "target" shooting yesterday. Fired the 709 with actual carry ammo duplicate the Winchester 147grn T. First target basically emptying full mag quick as possible with front sight on target at 7 yds. Then two mags worth of double taps at 10 yds and finally fast full mag again at 10yds. Couple got away from me literally shooting these as quick as i can possibly fire within reason but very satisfied. Side note i really like this Winchester train and defend ammo 147grn out of short 3" barrel. Shoots well has same same practice ammo available. The jhp runs about 15" consistent in gel with nice solid expansion. 20170516_142452.jpg 20170516_142545.jpg 20170516_143502.jpg

Last edited:
Good to hear a positive review for Taurus for a change. Seems like lately, they've taken a serious hit after the recalls.

Good to hear a positive review for Taurus for a change. Seems like lately, they've taken a serious hit after the recalls.

Yes im pleasantly suprised. No bigger skeptic than me. 179.99 for a carry piece to defend life yeah right. So far its proved me wrong. Im retired kids are grown and single by the grace of God. So i have the time and means to do my thing which is shoot hunt and work my dogs.
I shoot something virtually everyday and if this lil piece has a breaking point il find it sooner than later and report but so far it gets an A+. 1300 rnds after today more in ammo than what the pistol cost. Lol

In all fairness, a good gun should shoot more than its' cost in ammo.

Just think of all of the old single shot break action shotguns and bolt action rifles and stuff from just a generation or two ago as one example. I know you follow what I'm saying.

They were used almost daily in some form or another. Whether for protection of livestock, persons and property or hunting or something.

And some of those old guns are more than twice as old as I am, and in a heckuva lot better shape and will outlast me by twice as long.

On a slightly different note about Taurus guns, I have a model 66 in 357. Stainless steel seven shot matter of fact. I traded an old Virginian dragoon for it a while back from an old friend.

When I go check my trail camera's, it is often hanging from a shoulder holster tucked underneath of my left arm. I plan to take it out maybe tomorrow with my wife to just shoot some, because I am trying to make her some mild loads for it in 38 so she can handle better, the 357 on the other hand that I take up on the mountain with me are banging really close to max load data. They've got some bite to them. That's for sure.

I have to have something good with me considering what all is prowling around up there. I don't want to be todays menu.

holli playing 005.JPG

In all fairness, a good gun should shoot more than its' cost in ammo.

Just think of all of the old single shot break action shotguns and bolt action rifles and stuff from just a generation or two ago as one example. I know you follow what I'm saying.

They were used almost daily in some form or another. Whether for protection of livestock, persons and property or hunting or something.

And some of those old guns are more than twice as old as I am, and in a heckuva lot better shape and will outlast me by twice as long.

On a slightly different note about Taurus guns, I have a model 66 in 357. Stainless steel seven shot matter of fact. I traded an old Virginian dragoon for it a while back from an old friend.

When I go check my trail camera's, it is often hanging from a shoulder holster tucked underneath of my left arm. I plan to take it out maybe tomorrow with my wife to just shoot some, because I am trying to make her some mild loads for it in 38 so she can handle better, the 357 on the other hand that I take up on the mountain with me are banging really close to max load data. They've got some bite to them. That's for sure.

I have to have something good with me considering what all is prowling around up there. I don't want to be todays menu.

View attachment 15195

What ? Someone mention old single shot ? Like my dads first gun a iver johnson cycleworks .410 from 1916 probably shot a gazillion time by several generations still tighter than hmm im not gonna say. That gun 20170515_185236.jpg 20170515_185320.jpgIts my thread il derail it if i want too.

Yeah, I figured you'd understand what I was saying.

Alright here we go the final run to 1500 rnds. Stopped at indoor range for a few. Had two boxes of Federal 115 fmj brass from wally world. Loaded and fired 2 mags reloaded etc el rapido as possible for me till ammo expended at 8 yards. As expected the pt709 just plugged away. No hiccups no bobbles. Im calling it good to go at this point and will give it a break resigning it to pocket carry duty. shooting it on occasion to keep familier. I dont know if this is typical or an anomaly i can say girlfriend has same gun she has nowhere near same number of rounds down range but hers also has been excellent. So i do recommend this pistol for a relatively small 9mm.
20170523_151036.jpg 20170523_152031.jpg
Couple got away from me but il call it good for quick fire.

Appreciate the great reviews from you. My opinion of the PT709 matches yours. Never a hiccup or malf. Accurate enough. Great value.

Back