• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Purple wood furniture stain job

Hey guys, well finaly got to getting all this together to show the step by step process.
Now it did take me over a month to do this, but it was something I did when I got time, and not a big rush.

Did this for the wife for her 20g in her favorite color. Wanted to make it personal for her and since purple Woodstock sets aren't readily available, I decided to just make it and surprise her....

Original wood furniture set ordered from Numrich and Havlin.

Decided to go with a chemical strip for the removal of the original stain

Took a few more coates than expected to get it all off.....

And another......

Finally got all the stain completely off......

Used minwax water based purple stain....did a few coates to get the result I wanted then sealed it with a satin polyurethane as to not to change the color.

Closer look.....

BEFORE....

AFTER....

:cool:

WOW, your wife will be the sharpest out there. great job on the staining. :D

Wow! It looks great. Kind of like purpleheart. I like.

Great job sir.

Thanks for the comments guys, it was a learning experience and now i got a better feel for the next one. :lol:

Ripjack ... I actually would of prefered purplehart, but this option was a TAD cheaper and easier to find.

Great job! :) I'm not usually a fan of purple, but that looks really good. I may have to change my mind. ;)

On a side note, regarding purple heart wood, I think you made the right choice with staining. PH is really hard to work, very heavy, and changes color (goes from an eggplant purple to a deep brown with just a hint of purple) with age, especially when exposed to sunlight. I'd never use it for a gunstock.

Here's some extensive info on the wood. http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/ ... eheart.htm

NICE JOB!
One of the things that I love about the 500 platform is that we can experiment with stains and paint on them. Something I would NEVER do to a shotgun that cost MUCH MUCH more.
The 500 is the best gun for personal customization out there.

Right on. Purpleheart doesn't hold it's color either, so the stain is actually better. Not to mention if you goof on making a stock out of PH it'll be a costly one.

ripjack13 said:
Right on. Purpleheart doesn't hold it's color either, so the stain is actually better. Not to mention if you goof on making a stock out of PH it'll be a costly one.

Actually PH isn't all that expensive compared to other exotics. Runs about $12/bf (depending on thickness, etc.) and is readily available at many dealers nationwide. A good place to find this and other exotics and compare prices is: http://woodfinder.com/

Thx for the info gunny...
Got a buddy that does custom woodwork, and I went go him first about the purplehart which was a little hard to find but not difficult, but the cost to make the stock set would of been more than the price of the gun because of the hardness of it and labor involved to make. So with that said, staining was the way to go on this one, leaving me money for another gun... :lol:

stigmata said:
Thx for the info gunny...
Got a buddy that does custom woodwork, and I went go him first about the purplehart which was a little hard to find but not difficult, but the cost to make the stock set would of been more than the price of the gun because of the hardness of it and labor involved to make. So with that said, staining was the way to go on this one, leaving me money for another gun... :lol:

I was under the impression that you'd thought about carving your own stock, rather than having someone else do it, since you seemed to have the skills based on what you did with your wifes stock. And you'd have had that as a pattern.

Been doing custom woodwork for quite a few years myself, and it's always the labor and artistry/skill involved that makes it expensive for consumers, even if it's ebony or some other high priced exotic. Btw, Gabon Ebony is going for $150-$200/bf these days, and limited supply. I bought a chunk about 4 years ago for less than half that. Still have a couple bf left :) . I only use it for accents on special pieces these days. Most people just can't afford really good woodwork anymore so that limits the market essentially to millionaires, and woodworkers spouses and relatives. ;) Everyone else is stuck with Ikea and Wallyworld. :roll:

Snakewood....now that wood would be awesome!! Got any layin around gunny? I have a few pieces for 1911 grip size. I Need to start makin em again. ..

ripjack13 said:
Snakewood....now that wood would be awesome!! Got any layin around gunny? I have a few pieces for 1911 grip size. I Need to start makin em again. ..

Nope. Never worked with it. The variety of wood available on this planet is absolutely astounding. Much better than my home planet. ;)

But I agree on the beauty of it. Here's a pic of some 1911 grips:

snakewood%20pistol%20grips%20web.jpg

I never get tired of looking at all the different types of wood. and the things people ( or in your case, aliens, lol) make out of it.

No..no..gunny, I meant the expierence in staining, not wood working.
Now I am one to try anything, but making a buttstock and forend is a bit more than I do. I do however make custom speaker boxes and do home renovations here and there, but thats about it. who knows maybe someday I'll get the urge to make one.

That looks great, I have one of these on back order for my wife's AK

406760247.jpg

She wanted a bright red so I might give what you did a try when it arrives

GunnyGene said:
ripjack13 said:

Nope. Never worked with it. The variety of wood available on this planet is absolutely astounding. Much better than my home planet. ;)

That would make an INCREDIBLE looking stock for one of my more expensive shotguns.

LTB45 said:
GunnyGene said:
ripjack13 said:

That would make an INCREDIBLE looking stock for one of my more expensive shotguns.

This wood is sourced from that holy of holies; Suriname (S. American rain forest area). Most of it is illegally logged, so if you buy some you better make sure that the guy you bought it from did his "due diligence" in compliance with the Lacey Act or you're both gonna be at risk for a Save the Trees SWAT raid, al 'la Gibson Guitar.

You might have trouble finding a piece big enough for a stock, since it's a small tree that rarely is over 12" diameter. The wood does not like changes in heat or humidity, and will split and check even if heated from sanding too hard according to this supplier https://www.cookwoods.com/lumber-site/s ... snakewood/ . Note the prices.

Snakewood veneer would be considerably less expensive and also easier to work.

Back