• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question about skeet competition rules.

A friend of mine went to a open skeet competition and got 2nd place which was a 500.00 dollar prize. Well he beat out one of the local favs and when it came to collect the guy he beat complained about the way my friend gun was setup and they disqualify him. The ones hosting the competition advise my friend they was going by the National skeet rules
Now my friend has a weatherby PA-08 syn 12 guage with the vented rib top and had attach the Truglo open sights and that is what the ones hosting the skeet comp advise that the truglo sights was against the rules.
Now I look all thru the NATIONAL SKEET. SHOOTING ASSOCIATION. OFFICIAL. RULES. REVISED 2009 edition and did not see anything concerning sights on a gun used for skeet. Is there any where else I need to look? My friend was the out of towner and I think the locals just got a little upset he beat their favs out.

I'm not sure. As long as it does not enhance the target or aid in judging lead I really can't find anything that states they would be an illegal aid.

9.4.2.8 Optical Sights
All devices fitted to the gun that have magnifying, light emitting,
forward lead displacement properties, or that give visual
enhancement of the target, are prohibited.

This is from the ISSF rulebook for 2013.

I guess we would have to know specifically what set of rules they were following.

LTB45 shoots competitive clays, perhaps he can be of help in this one.

I do not shoot competitive Skeet but I will look around and see what I can find.
I have never heard of anything about sights on a gun that would disqualify someone shooting Skeet.
Sounds like BS to me.

Looking at the rule book online and the paragraph that MikeD quoted, I say BS to the people that ran the shoot.
Tru-Glo sights DO NOT emit light, that is the only thing that I can see, why they might have had a problem with it.
They misinterpreted the rules and your friend got screwed out of his $500 prize money.
Plenty of people that I shoot with have Tru Glo sights on their guns.
I have them on my Trap gun!!!

Thank you. I downloaded the ISSF rulebook and gave it to my friend and he also found where he can purchase it online to take with him next time.

Back