• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question about velcro sidesaddles

I would like to add a velcro sidesaddle to my 590 but I'm concerned about what happens when the velcro wears out. How do I remove the industrial-strength adhesive from the receiver without ruining the finish, etc?

Amazing but nobody answered this one...

Get the velcro almost hot. Use a heat lamp or hair dryer etc to get the glue warm enough and it will peel off. Don't heat it up so much you damage the finish of the gun. That's why I did not advise you to use a heat gun which will literally blister and burn the finish.

Well, in.my mind the downside to all is that stick-on velcro loosens in the hot sun or anytime the receiver gets hot.

Having that steel or aluminum plate insulates the glue from the heat of the receiver.

But it won't do anything about the glue that softens because you left your gun in a hot car.

All that being said I don't use a side saddle or leave my shotgun in a car. I do have some experience with velcro but maybe they're using a new epoxy or urethane to attach it to the metal.

Both of those will soften up under heat a little as well, but they don't come apart.

Last edited:
Well, in.my mind the downside to all is that stick-on velcro loosens in the hot sun or anytime the receiver gets hot.

Having that steel or aluminum plate insulates the glue from the heat of the receiver.

But it won't do anything about the glue that softens because you left your gun in a hot car.

All that being said I don't use a side saddle or leave my shotgun in a car. I do have some experience with velcro but maybe they're using a new epoxy or urethane to attach it to the metal.

Both of those will soften up under heat a little as well, but they don't come apart.

That is a good point I didn't think of. I also looked at the Aridus quick detach sidesaddle. It looks like a great design, too bad it's so expensive.

Back